Fitting a double glazed window in a oak door using?

Im sure you folks will know what to use. I want to fit a double glazed unit into a oak door, the rebates etc are fine its just what do i use, I have in the past fitted single glazing using putty and double glazing to UPVC but never double glazing to wood. Would i use silcone and stand the unit on spacers. Any help apprecated. Rob

Reply to
rob w

I think that a glazing mastic would be more nornal and yes use some of those little plastic blocks to centralise the DG unit in the aperture. Then use oak beading bedded in more mastic to dress up the visible surround. I think you could use silicone but I wonder if it would be better to use a neutral cure one (does not release acetic acid aka vinegar as it cures) it would be a shame to stain the oak and theremight be some damage to the aluminium foil used on the edges of the DG unit. If you are going to use any mechical fixings into the oak remember not to use ferrous ones as the tannic acid in the oak will rust them in time leading to more stains.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I would recommend you follow the guidance for fitting sealed units in existing rebates that is to be found in:

units can and do fail, and the advice in this article for avoiding that is, IMO, top-notch.

"coherers"

Reply to
Coherers

Use low modulus neutral cure silicone sealant, no other. Chock the unit all around with soft plastic spacers (get silicone and spacers at your local glazier). If it doesn't say "Low Modulus Neutral Cure" on the tube, don't buy it. Various threads have appeared in uk.d-i-y about this in the past.

Yes, you will get staining eventually.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built