fitting a cast iron fireplace

Hi, I'm about to fit a cast iron fireplace into a chimney breast which originally was used for that purpose so the dimensions seem ok. I've bought a secondhand reproduction cast iron fireplace (one with tiled insert) and a seperate wooden surround. To fit, do I simply place the metal insert into the opening and place the wooden surround over it and screw the surround to the wall? Or do I actually need to chip away some of the plaster and set the edges of the cast iron insert back a fraction in the wall and plaster in place? I've read of people using fire rope to stop smoke escaping through the sides, but I'm not sure if this is required. I realise I will have to backfill with rubble and mortar and top off with fire cement but I'm just not sure what exactly secures the insert in place if you know what I mean?

The fireplace will be used occasionally to burn solid fuel. The chimney has been cleaned and checked.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What an excellent site. Just what I wanted. Thanks very much.

Reply to
jgkgolf