Fitting 72cm plaster ceiling roses and chandelier

I've bought a 72cm plaster ceiling rose that I want to fit in a room. It came without fitting instructions and is very heavy (~8.7kg).

If anyone has any experience fitting heavy roses I'd very much appreciate some pointers.

The wife also wants to fit a chandelier below it which looks from the catalogue like it fits to the ceiling with a single chain. Presumably I need some kind of hook fixing to attach to the joist above, and I'm trying to work out the logistics of whether to fix a hook first, then fit the rose around the hook (with an unpleasant large hole in the centre of the rose for the hook to pass through), or fit the rose first, and then attach a hook through the rose (I'm worried of cracking the rose).

Any helpful information would be much appreciated - I am beginning to wonder whether I'd be better off paying a decorator to fit it for me.

Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Jim

Mine is large and heavy and was fitted with two securing screws in the perimeter side of the hole and also drywall adhesive around the perimeter of the edge of the ceiling rose with dabs of it randomly over the back of it. I then positioned it in place with the two screws and twisted it back and forth on the ceiling so that the adhesive squeezed out of the sides and screwed the screws fully home,wiped the excess adhesive off ...job done.

A noggin screwed to the joist above will be adequate to hold the chandelier.

Reply to
George

You cut a 2" (approx) hole in the centre of the plaster rose, and fit a

2" metal electrical conduit box (BESA box) to the ceiling with long screws going through joist or noggin above. The rose is then stuck to the ceiling. (The BESA box may or may not need to be recessed so that it is approx level or slightly recessed below the finished front face of the rose.)

You can then use choc block inside the BESA box to connect to the flex to the chandelier. The chandelier is hung from a hook faceplate that is screwed to the BESA box.

Besa Box:

plate
hook plate:
Lilley & Sons do a lot of brass lightfittings, I don't know if retail

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:38:41 +0100, Owain mused:

Reply to
Lurch