Fitted induction hob - ventilation?

"We recommend a ventilation gap at the front of the hob of 20 mm to ensure good ventilation."

What does that mean? There's a 3-4mm gap over the top of the oven control bezel.

I was wondering about undercutting the hob opening at 45 degrees at the front edge like this:

| | Rear Hob Front ________======================----- ||| ==================== ||||

Reply to
Tim Watts

It means a gap between the bottom of the hob/worktop to whatever is underneath it. So you shouldnt sit the hob on top of a solid topped unit.

Reply to
A.Lee

It did say "front" which is why I did not think it meant that.

It does say also "15mm to top of oven/cupboard" which is fine (I have

70mm from top of worktop to top of oven and the hob is 50mm thick).

It also says "10mm at the back for cable" which is also fine - in that case there is >10mm just behind the oven all the way down. The kick plinth has a top cutaway 50cm to the left for the benefit of the fridge (built in) so there's plenty of air able to get in from underneath.

Just looking at this as induction hobs are electronics heavy and heat is bad (TM) :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I removed some of the front top edge of the cabinet which is under my hob, so that air can flow between the bottom of the worktop and the top of the cabinet draw. I left bits to ensure that the work top was adequately supported and would not warp over time.

Reply to
Michael Chare

OK - cool. Thanks Michael - that seems to confirm.

I do not have that exact option as the oven goes up to the bottom of the worktop (bar 3-4mm gap).

So it seems like a reasonable idea to bevel the corner provided it does not mess up the mounting or impair the worktop strength too much.

On an aside - what's a good sealant for chip worktops inside the cutout (installation destructions mentioned it was a good idea). Emulsion paint?

Reply to
Tim Watts

A bit of googling suggests it's heat from the oven beneath which when in use can affect the heat sensor in the induction hob. And basically switch it off.

Hence the need for an adequate gap.

If both are never used together then there might possibly be no problem

Because induction hobs are quite thick as compared with gas hobs measurements should be taken from the bottom of the hob, rather than the bottom of the worktop.

michael adams

michael adams

Indeed - I checked that. Top of worktop to top of over = 70mm.

Hob thickness 50mm

Leaving a gap of 20mm between them - 15mm is the manufacturer's minimum.

Does sound like a good idea to open up the front a little. I'd drop the oven if I could, but it's not possible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What exactly are they trying to cool, the control gear?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes - exactly :)

Electronics do tend to get unhappy if baked.

I still amazed you can build an oven in so tight without everything catching fire - so the oven insulation must be quite good. Even so, bit of air around the underside of the hob won't go amiss.

The instructions don't say "must" but it seems to be recommended.

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to Tim Watts, Manji wrote: I have fixed Neff induction hob and when I am using big plate more then 15 minutes, I get smell like plastic burning. Any one face this type of problem and what's the solution. There is ample ventilation underneath.

Reply to
Manji

Dude - quote the original please - I am using a USENET reader and cannot see the thread.

This is also 2 years old at least.

And to answer the question, no - I have had no problems with a Miele hob with a 4-5cm space underneath and a 1cm gap over the top of the fitted oven.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes indeed this portal does not always insert dates, thus when read in the proper way, nobody knows if its current or old, which is why I suspect we see so many regurgitated old threads from this one place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It always shows the posted dates to me, admittedly in faint grey type top right.

Reply to
Dave W

As far as I can see it's the same font/colour etc as the text of the post.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That surely depends entirely on the news reading program. In mine I can set the colours (differently) for almost every part.

Reply to
Chris Green

But the HOH users haven't got a dedicated newsreader, they see the page in their browser, where (to me also) the grey of the date is no lighter than the grey of the body text.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even a web browser interface allows you some flexibility, you can tell it to ignore the web site's CSS for example and to use your own typefaces rather then theirs.

Reply to
Chris Green

Usenet News is not supposed to support mime, so plain text only, with whatever character set is specified is all that can be guaranteed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, plain text, in whatever colour I fancy! :-)

The colour is set locally so nothing to do with character encoding.

Reply to
Chris Green

You can, but it's not something I'd expect many HOH users to know about.

Reply to
Andy Burns