fitted bedroom furniture

I will be launching into refitting one of the bedrooms shortly, and intend to put in (self assembly) fitted wardrobes etc. Who are making the ones to use/avoid ?. Not looking for cheapo stuff, but I'm not sure the job warrants a "Rolls Royce" approach either.

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Although I put in and would recommend a Wickes kitchen to others, avoid their bedrooms like the plague. It is truly awful and I have come close several times to throwing it in the skip.

Reply to
Mike

Au contraire ..

I have recently fitted a Wickes fitted bedroom and was very pleased with the results.

The wardrobes consist of just a front "frame" fixed to the rear wall by one or more shelves. This system gives excellent flexibility for fitting in places where the cupboard depth is non-standard or where you have sloping ceilings to hide away. We had both of these situations in our bedroom under the new stairs for the loft conversion and the Wickes system allowed the strange shaped ceiling and sticking out bit of the stairs to be tucked away very neatly.

Only one small problem- the front frame is made of a not-quite-MDF material that is keen to split if you overtighten the screws that go into the ends of the horizontals.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

I've just done 2 with Wickes fitted bedrooms and was very pleased with them, they seem to be well made and fitted together really well. Unlike the stuff from MFI which had pieces missing and damaged, MFI took nearly 5 months to replace the missing/broken bits and had instructions that were incomprehensible.

Gin

I'll second that. My Wickes built-in wardrobes (no carcases, just frames, shelves and doors) are excellent.

Bert

Bert Coules

Oh well, I'm outvoted :-)

The Wickes kitchen went in very well but the bedroom didn't seem anywhere near as well thought out. Almost all problems occured on right angle corners - use of the corner filler blows out both the pelmet and plinth techniques shown in the manual. Went to the showroom and found their fitter had a third technique which works well for pelmet but not plinth.

Other thing I hate is the stick on rear panels. How much more would it have cost them to supply pre-cut 500mm and 1000mm wide solid panels in the right effect.

One tip is to check and double check the length of screw you intend to use for pelmets, etc. Sometimes these are marginal and can cause a bump on the inside surface.

Reply to
Mike

In article , Adrian Simpson writes

Thanks for the information. Looks like a trip to Mr Wickes emporium may be in order.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson