Fit Crossover to wall-speakers?

Hi all, I'm nearing the end of my loft conversion, and am wiring in some "in-wall" surround sound speakers. I've ordered some speakers from CPC:

's a: " A 2-way speaker for mounting into walls or ceilings. The speaker consists of a 4" woofer and a 1 3/4" polycarbonate tweeter. Quick and easy to fit. "

I've already reached the limit of my audio knowledge, and was just going to wire it in. But, should I wire a crossover directly into the speaker - to make it sound better. Once again from CPC, for £1.64 I've seen a: "A compact crossover unit for 2-way bass/mid + tweeter speaker systems. Suitable for the manufacture, repair or retro fit applications in speaker cabinets and systems."

Is my understanding correct that the speaker will sound better with the crossover wired in between the speaker itself and the speaker cable travelling to it?

Thanks in advance, Ian

Reply to
Ian Mayo
13/4" polycarbonate tweeter" and so I'd assume that the speaker contains a cross-over. You'd best check this with the supplier, but if the speaker already contains a crossover - and I'd expect that it does, then you should not addi - it would make matters worse!

If you want to look further into this, the FAQ at uk.rec.audio would be worthwhile where you can read up on the concepts of bi-wiring etc.

Me

specification that the "2-way

What, CPC's descriptions ambiguios.....well that's never happend before!

But there's a clue - it mentions 2 drivers "a 4" woofer and a

cross-over. You'd

crossover - and I'd

That depends, if the crossover in ths peaker is connected only to the tweater, and not the woofer If this is the case, adding another crossover that cuts out real low bass (that this little 4" woofer cant do (,100Hz)) then it may make it better!

worthwhile where you can

Reply to
Sparks

The short answer is no. The two way speaker will almost certainly include its own crossover to direct high and low frequency components of the sound the the appropriate part of the speaker.

You would normally only use a crossover when either building a speaker cabinet yourself, or when assembling a "component" speaker system where the tweeters and woofers are in separate cabinets (as often used in stage work and also some car installations).

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's described as a two way speaker, it will already have a crossover built in.

Are you intending just fitting these in the wall as a baffle with no cabinet?

If so, I'm not sure you've made the right choice - you really need 'ceiling' mount types for this use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

worthwhile where you can

Hi there, you don't have a link to the uk.rec.audio FAQ do you?

I can only find one for car audio. Cheers, Ian

Reply to
Ian Mayo

I've been reading it for quite a long time and never seen an FAQ mentioned. And I'd also be *very* wary of advice given on there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Bugger.

Reply to