fishing rod

Anyone no if a carbon fibre fishing rod is struck by lighting or touches a live wire would you get a shock or dead??

Reply to
smudger

I'd imagine it to have a cork handle?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

About as much use as a chocolate teapot in a lightning strike.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But in the law of average its a million to one chance of lightning striking anyone holding a fishing rod. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

At very high voltages I don't think it would make much difference whether it were carbon fibre, GRP or split cane - you'd still get zapped. Whether it kills you or not is down to the particular circumstances and individual physiology.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Most of mine have warning decals on to that effect .

.
Reply to
gentlegreen

Yes, people are occasionally electrocuted by hitting power lines with CF roach poles.

Reply to
Aidan

| smudger wrote: | > Anyone no if a carbon fibre fishing rod is struck by lighting or | > touches a live wire would you get a shock or dead??

But they forbid fishing under electricity wires, so it should not happen. Were I a fisherman that is a rule I would *obey* religiously, Any rod may well be wet, which could conduct enough to kill you if you were unlucky.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I was amazed, upon returning to fishing, to read of 15 metre poles - I assumed it was a misprint !

(though quite how one would behave if assembled and waved about vertically is anyone's guess ! )

.
Reply to
gentlegreen

You can blame the french for that. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

you can blame the French for lot's of thing's!!

Reply to
smudger

But not for your horrible abuse of the apostrophe.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Dear me, is this site for DIY or for smart arsedness

Sea

-- Sean Mc

Reply to
Sean Mc

"Aidan" wrote in news:1129822116.775630.144750 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Once would have been enough for me

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Why must there be a distinction made?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A young lad was killed a few years back here when his CF Pole hit the overhead power cables. Baz

Reply to
Baz

It's not a site, it's a Usenet group. And yes.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes.

Its conductive enough at those sorts of high voltages.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher