First they came for lightbulbs

Oh, did weed'n'feed have agent orange in it. Gosh, I didn't know that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or have two steering wheels like they do in planes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then it was proper bread. Becoming harder to find in France these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Have you come across this wonderful new invention, the thermos flask?

Reply to
Adrian

I was taught to drive in a car with two steering wheels.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That keeps water boiling, does it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mine has two power settings as well/

They reintroduced it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even now, France has much tighter controls over "other" ingredients. Not that I am against bread making people being inventive, but I am against things like the near-universal addition of soy flour.

Reply to
polygonum

there's a newer model but £100+ seems a lot for a toaster

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You could fly a reasonable plane on a 500KW fan..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That most certainly is a lot for a toaster.

Can't remember the exact prices, but when I got mine they had been about £50 in the shops. We got ours for about £25 each from Robert Dyas when they were flogging off end-of-range/surplus.

Reply to
polygonum

Wind tunnel. One wind tunnel in Germany, transferred to France at the end of WW2, had two fans powered by two 50,000 HP (37,000kW) hydraulic turbines. But I'll concede, hardly domestic!

Chris Hogg

I'm against baguettes in France that are barely distinguishable from Tesco ones.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Does it, in fact? Agent Orange contained 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T defoliants. AIUI 2,4,5-T has been banned for a long time, but 2,4-D is used in many lawn treatments, where it acts on broad-leaved weeds like dandelions and plantains but not on the grass. I can't find any evidence that it's been banned. An up-to-date (March 2016) list of weedkillers for amateur gardeners here:

No specific mention of a Weed-n-Feed by that name.

But popular broadleaf herbicides containing 2,4-D, mecoprop, and dicamba have been banned in Canada, although those chemicals occur together in one or two of the UK products. AFAICT he only weedkillers banned recently by the EU are Amitrole and Isoproturon. But these were not available to amateurs anyway, so I'm puzzled as to why Andrew's neighbour's weed-n-feed is supposedly banned.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There was some talk that glyphosate was for the chop, too, so I got another litre bottle of 360gm/litre from B&Q the other day. £25, which didn't compute since previously it's been more like £40. It was in their secure section, too, with a tag and it took two staff to get it off the shelf. One to climb the ladder and another to watch.

Bizarre.

Reply to
Tim Streater

ISTR the Dualit was about £130!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It'll be something industrial.

I have seen a water pump driven by a gas turbine - probably rated around

24MW !!! It was intended for injecting seawater down oilwells to keep the pressure up and keep the gas and oil flowing.
Reply to
Steve Walker

£100 is a lot. £130 is crazy! After all, it will all end up as scrap someday. And just a tiny break in a bit of nichrome wire is all that separates something useful from a very poor doorstop.
Reply to
polygonum

Well, no. I bought it for a number of reasons. It's very solid, it has lasted many years, it's selectable (1/2/4 slices), and it won't set fire to the toast if it jams because it's a hand operated ejector mechanism. The timer is clockwork.

And all of the elements are easily replaceable. I've only had to do one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

under £15 from amazonbay.

Reply to