First car recommendations?

So was mine. Great fun when driven at speed around corners, thereby frightening anyone who had heard about rear-wheel tuck-under. I put a Spitfire engine and O/D gearbox in mine, and ran it for years. And it towed a car trailer.

Reply to
Davey

Either of those with a 1.4TDI is pretty economical, and reasonably quick too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Indeed. The only requirement usually is that the driver that uses the car most must be named as the main driver.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Wow, a man with understanding of the delights of old cars! I loved an old Rover 100, which went to whoever in our gang needed a car for a while, always for =C2=A3100. It was called Cholmondeley, (pron. 'Chummly), and this fitted the character of the car perfectly. Pre-selector gearbox, real quarter lights on the doors, dip-switch on the floor, the way things should be. I wonder where he is now?

Back in the US, I drove a Ford Taurus for a year. It went, stopped, never went wrong, but it had absolutely no 'soul', it was like a wet fish of a car. No wonder that model was a best-seller amongst the American masses.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

I wonder what the definition of "uses the car most" is?

The gf uses the car more than me but I drive more miles in it than she does.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry to preach(*). But the number of people who take what they hear, see or read from the people media or the 'net as absolute is depressingly high.

So you can't find out what the time periods are before you hand over your dosh? HTF are you supposed to make a buying decision?

Seems a bit stingey, 6000 miles is only a 25 mile daily commute (48 week year, 4 weeks hols).

(*) Don't start me on pensions. I know that a pension is in the far far distant future but money shoved in now can grow for 40+ years. If there is still a state retirement age (or indeed a state pension) by the time you get there it may well be 70 or 75, that's well over 50+ years... If you can afford =A310/month now (the cost of just a few pints) it will be money well used. Get advice from an *independant* Financial Advisor as to the best place to put it. I don't know if a pension fund or a stocks and shares ISA both with a "cautious/balanced" spread of investments would be best. With the ISA you can still get at the funds, not so easy to get at the money in a pension fund, nothing to stop you moving money from an ISA to a pension in 10 - 20 years time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need to look at the overall cost of car ownership - not just the headline ones. Reliability also depends on decent servicing, and some cost more than others for this. Also look at depreciation. Not so important as with a newer vehicle, but still a running cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The OP is 17, "reasonably quick" won't do the insurance premium any favours. Perhaps an ancient SWB Defender or even Series Land Rover would be a better bet?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Motorbike?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I love my 02 plate Suzuki Swift. It is not at all quick or trendy, but it has done me 10 months of driving from Devon to Essex and back every other weekend and is still going strong. Insurance is on the cheaper end of the scale.

I've put > 50,000 miles since I bought it three years ago and it has cost me servicing (got a new cam belt put on it when I first got it serviced). A new exaust, battery, ht leads, tyres and sunries like the odd windscreen wiper and bulb. It will need new brake discs/pads very soon I suspect. I think that is more than good.

If you are a young driver, best advice I can give is don't have an accident (so keep the speed right down and drive carefully), or the insurance rise next time might put you off the road.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

To clarify: I am relaying a recent discussion on the radio in which an insurance spokesman was talking specifically about the case where an older named driver is included on the insurance of a young person solely for the purposes of reducing the premium.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

To clarify: I am relaying a recent discussion on the radio in which an insurance spokesman was talking specifically about the case where an older named driver is included on the insurance of a young person solely for the purposes of reducing the premium.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 24/02/2012 09:19, Dave Liquorice wrote: ...

I would wholeheartedly agree. I started my first pension scheme at age

19, after working out what the state pension would buy. That is one of the reasons I now have a pension that many people would be happy to have as a salary.

I would suggest putting a small proportion into higher risk investments. Given a good enough spread, which your advisor should arrange, the gains will outweigh the losses. I put 10% of one pension fund into a high risk investment fund. Over 10 years it averaged 17% growth, which was considerably more than anything else offered. The funds that worked actually achieved 25% growth, but that was reduced by the losses. Note: this is not an option for anyone who frightens easily or who does not realise that you need to take a very long term view of pensions investments.

There is something to be said for not being able to get at your pension fund, even in times of need.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I used to remove the roof from mine in the summer:-)

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

My son's first car was a V8 3.5ltr 110 running on LPG. It was cheaper to insure and run than his mates old Fiesta, but sounded fantastic:-)

Sadly it was too big to park at uni, hence the Renault 5 mentioned earlier.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Commuting in a company van isn't a taxable benefit. So better still.

Reply to
Fredxx

In article , gremlin_95 scribeth thus

Indeed;) My 17 year olde Audi A6 estate was clocked up some 200 K miles and still drives fine. Passed the MOT the other week just a sidelight bulb and a quick adjust of the handbrake and thats all fine..

Reply to
tony sayer

I am overwhelmed with all the replies, thanks a lot. I shall be taking your advise into consideration and checking what I can do to make owning a car affordable to me, if it just doesn't prove economical then I guess will have to resort to using the bus. There is a fairly frequent service that is quicker and cheaper than taking the train.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Probably mentioned elsewhere but the 1.0L Toyota Yaris will fit the bill regarding reliability, economy and insurance and are surprisingly nippy for a 1L engine. Also completely lacking in "street cred" if that's what you're after. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The fuel consumption will kill him.