first attempt at soldier course over lintel

My first attempt at a soldier course over a catnic-style lintel was a disaster ! The bricks kept tipping fowards despite quite a stiff mortar. The lintel is level, but the brick overhang and "lip" at the front was the cause. This, combined with trying to build in some of those spout-type weep vents (which are infuriatingly tapered from back to front and tend to keep twisting the brick round), resulted in total failure. After about 4 bricks, I gave up !

For my next attempt, I will screw a batten across the opening to hold the bricks vertical. I will also forget about the weep vents initially, except for making sure the mortar gap is big enough for them, and when the mortar is starting to set, I'll scoop out a gap, push them in and patch up the mortar. I suppose I could just poke a hole like they used to do. Is this still OK ? If a spout is OK, there must be no need to leave a 65mm high mortar gap.

This is the hardest thing I've done in bricklaying so far. Any tips ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Problem with the "quite stiff mortar" and lack of expertise perhaps?

Taking a course in bricklaying will help! Or if that's not possible, nip out and buy a proper bricklaying text book.

Reply to
Woodworm

Will only stightly stiffer than usual. Certainly lack of expertise. I've seen a pro do it. Bash in all the bricks, slap mortar around, magically none goes on the face of the brick, bricks start leaning, but the whole thing is done so quick he can grab the bricks before too much droop. When whole row is done, kind of hold themselves up.

Actually theres a good book in Borders that I glance at from time to time. If I don't buy it I don't think anyone else will ! However, there's nothing like practical experience, and learning from your mistakes. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson