Fireworks (OT)

Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a firework "Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

Who needs that? Wouldn't it be boring after about 10?

Reply to
John

No. It will be boring because it is pathetic and cheap.

Buy some proper fireworks.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Firework month round thisaway: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang...". Repeat for at least a month. It's great. We love it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Ditto.

(Which makes me wonder all the more at everyone feeling the need for their OWN bang bang bang. As I see it, if I wanted bang bang bang, it would be an advantage if someone else paid.)

Reply to
Rod

In message , John wrote

Aldi have something similar (100 shot Solar Storm) @ £9.99 on Thursday

22nd October.
Reply to
Alan

Oh I really agree - It is Dwali and I am surrounded. It will keep me going until New Year.

I don't need my own bang bang bang whistle bang bang.. Saves££££££££££££££££££££

Reply to
John

Yeah - got treated to one tonight

Reply to
geoff

Hee,hee! I'd just texted my wife earlier. Our dog that is with her in the farther outposts of Wales is missing his opportunities to rip our curtains and " sort those bl^^dy fireworks out" here in deepest Leics. where Diwali is being celebrated.

Reply to
Clot

More like tiny mortars than candles, and I love them.

Kimbolton (Rev Lancaster) does make exceedingly good cakes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:58:53 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley had this to say:

I really can't see any point in 'fireworks' that simply go Bang, apart from annoying the neighbours and terrifying pets. To me, they're just mindless.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Why else would folks light 'em at 1 in the morning?

Reply to
brass monkey

If only fireworks had a time control - can only explode between 19:00 and 21:00 or something like that. I can reluctantly put up with them for a while but definitely not when trying to get to sleep.

And many years ago I used to attend the local display which was always impressive. The point there seemed to be very loud explosions followed however many seconds later by the visual displays. With the resultant crowd pleasing being assessed by the volume of Ooh-Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

In those days it seemed as if hardly anyone in the area bought their own except those with children too young to take the big display.

Reply to
Rod

What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are FUN?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

To frighten away the demons, that is not in the christian culture though.

If you think it's bad here you ought to visit China just before New Year and at the moment of New Year you can't hear yourself think inside a building let alone outside for the noise from firecrackers etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Certainly not forgotten. But the people who let them have all too often forgotten that they should be considerate to others. I really struggle to see what fun there is in a succession of bangs spread out over pretty much every day, evening and night for several weeks.

And in contrast to the Blue Peter message of many years ago, there is absolutely zero consideration for animals.

Reply to
Rod

Overrated - unless you just want to impress people that you have money to burn.

I get my fix from going out into the garden at midnight on New Years Eve and see enough to last me for a year - and I don't even need to have my own bang - I share other people's bangs.

I think they can get monotonous. My original post related to the number of roman candle type things in a "Cake" for £17. At over 100 I can't believe many people would have the staying power to find it fun for so long.

I used to go to a firework party when the kids were smaller - after about 10 mins the kids were in the house playing with toys and all the grown ups were at the buffet table whilst the poor host was trying to set off all the fireworks that the guests had brought along to impress the other guests. We learned from this after about 3 years and the invite then said - Bring a bottle - Barbecue if dry. We could watch other peoples fireworks and circulate without treading on fireworks.

Reply to
John

Nah, ye need indoor fireworks on the table.

This one is a bit weird.

Adrian C

If it is showing off if one person is trying to impress. But when you club together to buy bigger and better fireworks as a group it is not.

Cheapskate:-)

TBH that firework lasts about 15 seconds. There are some good fireworks out there.

You forgot the bonfire. Fireworks are only half of the fun. Well a quarter of the fun if you include the food and the drinks as seperate items.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Rod wibbled on Sunday 18 October 2009 12:26

If it needs regulation, the answer might be to make it an offence to let off fireworks outside of approved dates *without a special license*, those being the 5th November (and I mean the 5th, not some random Saturday or Sunday withing a few weeks), and one or two other festival times for religions.

That doesn't mean organised fireworks can't operate and it doesn't prevent a display at a big wedding but it does mean you'd have to justify it and be made aware of not being a pain.

I love fireworks - I loved having them in our back garden when I was small. But it's only fun if everyone locks their pets away for *one* day and gets all the bangs over and done with.

I hate the random drawn out wibbling that seems to happen these days. I also hate Xmas stuff being in the shops more or less now, etc etc. It dilutes the festival to the point no one cares...

Reply to
Tim W

I think that Diwali is somewhat more significant then celebrating an attempted assassination in Parliament! Most of the current wave of fireworks will be your local Sikhs and Hindu's celebrating their religious festival.

Diwali : a row of lamps is a significant festival in Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism, Adherents of these religions celebrate Diwali as the Festival of Lights. In Britain, Hindus and Sikhs celebrate Diwali with great enthusiasm and in most ways very similarly to as in India. People clean and decorate their homes with lamps and candles.A popular type of candle used to represent this holiday is a diya. People also give each other sweets such as laddoo and barfi, and the different communities may gather from around the country for a religious ceremony and get-together. It is also an important time to contact family in India and perhaps exchange gifts through the post. It is a greatly celebrated holiday and is a great way to connect with the culture and heritage of India. Diwali is becoming a well known festival in Britain and non-Indians also join in the festivities. Leicester plays hosts to some of the biggest celebrations outside of India itself. Diwali also coincides closely enough with the British Guy Fawkes (Bonfire Night) traditions on November the 5th that in many areas, such as the East End of London, a kind of joint festival has evolved where everyone celebrates and enjoys the same fire and fireworks for their own diverse reasons.

Reply to
John