Firework recommendations?

Probably.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Having timed a few of the bigger fireworks on the videos that are on sellers web pages then maybe we do not £750 worth.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did the apprentice object to being the guy?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just to note that the shop isn't open all the time out of the main season but there is a sign outside with the owner's phone number on it and if you ring he'll be there in 15 minutes to open up for you.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Thought they already had, you can't get bangers or jumping jacks any more. Ordinary shops can only sell them in a very narrow windows a couple of times a year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Effin Softy as we know it. Fireworks must be on the list since they generate 'fun', which is frowned upon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Last time I bought fireworks, bangers were 1d, 2d or 3d

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I always believed that tuppenny cannons were the same fireworks as penny cannons only in a bigger more impressive cardboard tube.

The best bangers we ever had came from a box with Chinese writing on, umpteen years old that the owner of the shop found at the back of his stock room. He didn't know what they were so he sold them for 4 a penny. They were only about the size of the fuse on a tuppenny cannon with the rear end crimped and painted to seal the crimp, but made a bang 10 times bigger .

The original "Chinese Cracker", and just about the right size. ;-))

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

That certainly was the case when I was about 10, then the novelty wore off when I was about 16 and I've not really done much with them since (apart from blowing stuff up). ;-)

We did take our littlun to a big display when she was about 5 and as you said earlier the novelty wore off within the first couple of minutes and we haven't bothered since.

She's now 19 and went to a big display a couple of years ago and took her 5 year old niece who was more interested in the funfair.

Maybe in these times of virtual reality, reality isn't as exciting as it was?

T i m

p.s. It is supposed to all be about 'celebrating' an attempt to blow up the houses or parliament? I wonder how many people realise it or care, in the same way as they don't 'get' what Christmas is supposed to be about (I understand)?

Reply to
T i m

On a budget of =A3750, maybe not - but their "domestic" stuff is.

Not the only one.

For one thing, there is no "fireworks" licence in the UK, in the way that some places distinguish "strictly amateur pyro". Nor does "commercial" handling of explosives have to mean a multi-national corporate.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There was 40 years ago - it involved having e.g. a workshop which would survive explosions IIRC, more than that I forget

Reply to
geoff

In message , nightjar writes

100 penny bangers wrapped in an elastic band ...
Reply to
geoff

Old lady in corner sweetshop used to talk about getting her "Fireworks Licence" and wouldn't sell us any fireworks 'till she got it, about 3 weeks previous to Guy Fawkes night IIRC.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Oh, and there's me thinking that it was to celebrate the thrawting of blowing up parliament and the capture of Guy Fawkes.

Perhaps there's a little bit of wishful thinking on your part due to the nature of the current residents :)

lol

Mark

Reply to
mark

Aye, the Chinese do like things that go *BANG* rather than phut. I was in a small country town in southern China for their new year a few years back. Boy was that noisey at the appointed hour for the start of the New Year. You literally couldn't hear yourself think for

20 odd minutes of massed firecrackers being let off to frighten away any demons.

The single "bangers" varied in size from tiddly little things about an 1" long and 1/8" dia that still made quite a bang to small bucket sized things that went BOOM and threatened to leave craters in the road...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would be the local councils licence to retail fireworks, still have to have it and the retail sale period is very restricted now.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Listening to the news on Nov. 6th over the years I've noticed a preponderence of organisers (often headmasters) involved in the most serious accidents. Some practically got their heads blown off.

Since there will be > 100 onlookers to every arganiser that's going some.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I got the impression the fire brigade had to come round and bless the place. It could have been a local policy.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

well frankly I wouldn't leave a teacher in charge of anything.

Mortars are especially nasty. Had one that didnt go off once. It was a real decision. Try and get it out of the tube, or simply leave it.. we left it till the end, and then decided it was truly not going off, and IIRC, took it out, put some bonfire embers down the tube, dropped it back in and ran like hell.

TBH I simply didn't want a live one lying around, and that seemed a way to 'controlled explode' it. I THINK it went off correctly.

Twas a long time ago, and it more or less stopped my zeal for organized fireworks. Several guests had been running around with fireworks, very drunk, and I felt fortunate that there hadn't been a serious incident.

Fireworks are potentially lethal. Those that set them off, need to really know their onions. And those that watch need to be aware that they can, and do, sometimes go wrong. I've seen rockets stuck in their launchers, go up half as high as intended and shed their payload, not

200 feet up, but 20. Ditto mortars whose propellant charge either fails to ignite, or for some reason doesn't achieve the necessary height.

I've had both. DUCK! people were showered with hot debris, but none IN their eyes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't stand near to a headmaster on bonfire night, but Rotarians are a pretty risky bet too. Why is a good golf handicap and an ample waistline seen as indicating competence with pyro?

What you really need on bonfire night is a pyro-Flashman: a psychopathic pyromaniac for effect, with a generous helping of cowardice and self-interest for safety.

Reply to
Andy Dingley