Fires in electrical intakes

For those who like melted service cutout pictures FIRES ORIGINATING IN ELECTRICAL INTAKES Created by MARK HOBBS (Lead Fire Investigation Officer) East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service July 2010

(PDF about 5 MB)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

pity the images don't carry reference numbers!!

Favourite is the one with the caption

"22mm gas pipe running immediately behind distribution board"

Soldered 90 deg bend to ensure disaster, at least the sparky bonded it!

Reply to
Graham.

You mean page 48. I also liked the blown incomer on page 37!

Reply to
newshound

At least electrical intakes are no longer in the cupboard below the stairs in modern buildings. It always seemed to me to be a potentially dangerous place to put them.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

In article , Owain writes

I always wondered what an 'electrical intake' was and now I know ;-)

Reply to
fred

Oh dear - better make sure those terminal screws are properly nipped up.

Reply to
snot

Yes absolutely. Mine's in the garage, nowhere near anything inflammable.

Like petrol.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That's why it's a good idea to keep petrol in the bath.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Thursday 04 April 2013 23:35 Owain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Where's the coal go?

Reply to
Tim Watts

That Wylex CU has a very Salvador Dalí look to it!

Reply to
John Rumm

That makes the coal burn faster though...

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , Owain escribió:

Interesting read, but chappy needs to get a better camera!

When I read this bit, I immediately thought "storage heaters" because of the high current taken by them, which would cause an iffy connection to overheat:

"However, due to the nature and circumstances of how and when these fires occur (often at night when people are asleep)"

backed up by the photos, many of which show dual-rate meter(s).

indeed, the writer goes on to say later:

"My findings show that properties drawing high loads, especially those with night storage heaters, were particularly susceptible to resistance heating fires in service intakes."

page 15 shows what looks like a naughty take-off before the meter. It might have been that that caused the overheating. What's the circular metal-faced gizmo to the right that the take-off goes to?

Some uh, "creative" earthing going on on page 24.

The gas pipe on page 48 is a scream.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

base of a Sangamo timeclock for E7 switching, timeclock motor powered by the unmetered (and not fused down) supply.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

More to the point, needs to learn what an aspect ratio is, and why preserving it as you past images into word is a "good idea"!

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks like the standard design of house-service cutout, with ferrule-cap fu ses, is not fit for purpose, they were originally intended for a maximum fu se rating of 60A but were later uprated to 100A when storage heaters came i n. Suppliers should work together with manufacturers to produce a more oust design, using tagged fuses, as are already standard for ratings above 100A , or the continental 'NH' fuses, which would probably be cheaper.

Reply to
Jaffna Dog

In article , Owain writes

Ta. Mechanics and dial missing.

Rather a shoddy install, no fusing on the wires to the timeclock. If the motor in it developed a short, which is gonna go first? The wires of the 100A fuse? :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson