fireplace tiles

I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish the edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney breast.

Most of the cavity will be formed by a readymade fireback, and the front wall will be covered with sufficiently rated 'slim' clay bricks.

Instead of covering the edge with metal trim, I'm considering using thin unglazed ceramic tiles, say 10cm square and 1cm thick, to cover the front part of the side of the cavity. These would of course be recessed so that the wall of the cavity remains smooth.

Is it true that most unglazed ceramic tiles, e.g. ones sold for kitchens, are sufficiently heatproof and fireproof?

Thanks!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Harold Davis wrote in news:XnsA312D14008082harolddavis@78.46.70.116:

I should have made it clearer: this is for a solid-fuel fireplace.

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Probably if porous although you want to make sure they have plenty of time to dry out completely before you get a really good fire going.

But you might be better off with glazed fireproof tiles facing out at 45 degrees or so if you want something easier to clean. Your choice.

Reply to
Martin Brown

even the glazed ones ain't bad.

unglazed will take near white heat if heated evenly

More than the cement used to stick em will.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Martin Brown wrote in news:bPW3v.11332$t% snipped-for-privacy@fx04.am:

Martin Brown wrote in news:bPW3v.11332$t% snipped-for-privacy@fx04.am:

I'm also told by the manufacturer that cutting the fireback in half - sometimes recommended because the bottom is said to expand faster than the top when heated - is unnecessary, unless it can't be got into place otherwise.

Quick followup-question...

OK so I will be using ceramic tiles rather than metal trim to cover the front part of the side of the fireplace cavity.

Do I need to bother with an expansion gap filled with fire rope? Or is expansion of the fireback not really an issue here either? Can I just butt the ceramic tiles to the fireback using fire cement and have done with it?

Thanks!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis