Fireplace in bedroom

Both the fireplaces in our house were blocked up long before we got here.

However OH has drilled a large hole ( dinner plate size) in the bedroom flu / fireplace because a bird got trapped and was flapping around in there.

So, to the question, when he drilled through he found that the flue seemed very small . It has been filled to its entirety with a six inch deep block. Can someone throw any light on how a flu could be so small? Its a 1950's build bungalow . In the country in Cornwall - so although its 1950's build may be more akin to 1920's/30's even.

What kind of fire could have been fitted in such a small opening?

Not that we are opening it up but we have one in the study which also is blocked and another in the kitchen which we thought once housed a boiler and OH had considered opening one of those two and putting in solid fuel central heating or wood burners or something, but if they are constructed like the bedroom one, he may be stumped ( he says).

Anyone know?

Reply to
sweetheart

Obstreperous Husband? Oily Hand? 'Orrible Hairy? Obese Hothead? Other Hat?

6" ain't that small for a flue. Could it have been a gas fire?
Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , sweetheart writes

Have you found the body yet?

Reply to
geoff

You need about 9" to fit a proper wood buring capable liner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Other Half

Reply to
Olav M

Ah - all is made clear. I should have guessed that - must've been tired.

Reply to
Skipweasel