Firefox

OK, I have the new version of Firefox and have moved all the buttons around to make it reasonably usable.

In the old days, I used to be able to open a bunch of tabs and save them as a little directory in the bookmarks, then go to that, hit "open all in tabs" and it loaded the tabs as last used.

I can't find how to do that anymore. Is it me or has something changed?

Reply to
Bill

Not quite sure what you were using before, but new a feature in 4.0 and higher is "Tab Groups" look for a dropdown or toolbar button toward the right hand side at the top, also you may want to set tools/options/general so that it re-opens last tabs at startup, rather than opening a specific home page (or pages).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Assuming you have some bookmarks in a folder - just middle click on the folder

Reply to
Jim S

In message , Andy Burns writes

I'll have to test when I have more time, but I did a) open tab groups and click on the close x. This seems to clear Firefox back to no tabs and I had to start again. b) open tab groups, saw there was an invisible little box in purple on blue that said something like name the group, called it fred, closed the tab group screen, looked for fred but he was nowhere to be seen.

Will I have to read the instructions?

Reply to
Bill

Once you open tab groups, each tab you previously had open shows as a small version of itself, you drag tabs on top of each other to create a new group, once a group is created you can name it and drag tabs between groups, or nest groups into groups etc, click on a tab to "zoom" back to that tab, with the other tabs in its group active ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That should still work.... right click "Open all in tabs".

Its got tab group management now which is quite sweet. You can create tab groups and swap between groups very quickly. It makes managing lots of pages a but simpler.

Reply to
John Rumm

I do like it and use it, especially useful if you work for at/for multiple customers, just create a tab each then pick up where you left off when last dealing with them.

However, tab groups are the new nested bookmark folders, tabs are the new bookmarks, tags and stars are also the new bookmarks, the original bookmarks in folders are still there, they could really do with a cull of features ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Assuming you mean "Bookmark all tabs" - yes it's still there but, rather oddly, it doesn't doesn't appear if you open the Bookmarks menu using the mouse.

Open the same menu with the keyboard (Alt-B) and it appears in the menu list as it used to. Also Ctrl-Alt-d opens it directly.

HTH

Reply to
Andy Wade

Ah, how weird is that?

I'll have to look at Tab Groups when I have more time. It doesn't yet seem to do what others say it should.

I may have reached the point where I'm too old for all this. I'm sure there used to be a "Manage Bookmarks" option as well. I suppose there has to be an R in the month before that appears?

Reply to
Bill

ctrl-shift-O (oh, not zero)

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

It's 'bookmarks/show all bookmarks' then you can edit, save, restore, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

How on earth do you remember these control-key commands? You must be either much younger than me, or much more abstemious.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Hic! ... must be the former.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's FirePox for you. The developers *know* what is best for you, don't question it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

FF4 has trouble opening pdfs on my machine. Switched to Chrome and all is ok again.

Reply to
stuart noble

I dislike any browser handling PDFs for me, I always remove the plugins or MIME mappings so that it uses an external viewer (and that's not usually Acrobat these days for me).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. I had that issue with firefox when I somehow configured it to use a plugin to open them 'in window'

Trouble is so many PDFS are actually pretty much weird, and you need to have a selection of stuff to open them.

But mostly firefox seems to remain pretty constant. I am simply not having te trouble others seem to despite having the latest beta of firefox 5.0 running here. It seems pretty stable to nme, and no untoward effects. just needs a bit of setting up.

Might go for chromium one day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same here, in reality it would be better to call in Firefox 4.1 rather than 5.0

Reply to
Andy Burns

ng

Same with FirePox 3.x here. Don't know if it's a FirePox or craprobat issue.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Firefox is my browser of choice, but the following about:config setting is fairly dumb when it's me that has purposely crashed the browser (via task manager) to get out of something nastily scripted (like a pushed scam download of 'Antivirus 2011').

browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes 1

I've set it to 0 so I can be asked straight away whether I really want to resume.

Otherwise I'm in a continuous loop!

More info:

Adrian C