Firefox

Whats the .dbx file called for the bookmarks?

I'm peed orf losing my bookmarks when it decides to take a wobbler.

TA

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Are you sure that it has really lost them? When mine throws a wobbly, it's usually because it hasn't shut down properly from an earlier run. Then, when I start it again, it says my profile is in use - do I want to create a new one, or somesuch. All I do then is to press CTRL/ALT/DEL to start Task Manager, look for Firefox.exe and click 'End Process', followed by 'Yes' when it issues a dire warning. When I then re-start Firefox, it comes up properly - with all my bookmarks.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Its under a path along the lines of this (this is where mine is)

C:\Documents and Settings\Colin Wilson\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox \Profiles\(some stupid directory name) - mine is "m5s0guyp.default"

Why not simply export them to another directory somewhere from time to time ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Couldn't find it, but the bookmark manager has the option to save bookmarks to a file or restore from one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't seem to get too many probs with FF[1], but you might like to take a look at

Famous last words.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

CTRL-SHIFT-Esc is quicker.

Reply to
Grumps

Why doesn't Firefox close like any other program when you click on the X? I have to remember to minimise it instead, or go through the "end process" routine when trying to re-open it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Firefox does shut down properly using the X for me. I use it in preference to IE and never (really never) have any problems with it. I've never lost bookmarks and the only time I had the problem with it not disappearing from task manager was in the early firefox days when it was updating and tried to shut itself down from the updater. Even that works okay since the last few releases.

-- John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email

Reply to
John Kelly

The message from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Mine's done that a couple of times, but generally it's very well behaved. Never lost my bookmarks, either.

Reply to
Guy King

usually happens when java hasn't let go of the ff application.

I have, once, and my mums pc has, several times. I tracked her issue down to me telling her to use the fast switch off option on her particular pc. since I've taught her how to shut down it's not happened. known issue, apparently.

Reply to
.

Opera doesn't throw wobblers, and it's free nowadays.

Reply to
Doki

I thought it was this?

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\Bookmarks.html

Thanks for all replies.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Why do these "known issues" persist I wonder. I've never lost bookmarks but not being able to close it is a pain. Not enough of one to go back to IE though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

they don't.

me neither, there is a way of recovering them.

that'll be java, embedded or otherwise.

agreed.

Reply to
.

Usually it does - but just occasionally it seems to leave some bits behind when you close it - and that's when the problem occurs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

FFox no prob at all on a mac but I tend to use Safari more often.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

And brilliant. It puts Firefox in the shade.

Get

to help prevent crash problems and save the bookmarks once in a while to a CD with Bookmarks

The same thing for Opera. Opera will automatically import the bookmarks from Firefox and Independent Exterminator. It has several standard features that made it a must have for me, as it opens the last tabs I had open last time I used it. And it has a notepad written into it that copies straight from a webpage.

If you haven't already got used to Firefox don't bother. Just get Opera.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you have problems, you may find you also have to delete the directory in the path I mentioned - it stores multiple copies of some data !

This has resolved a problem I had once following an automatic upgrade, and one my colleagues had with Thunderbird remembering incorrect email password info.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nah my opera crashes almost as often as firefox and IE. Must be due a reformat maybe.

I've got a bookmark page of all my really useful daily used bookmarks

- make it start page and you're away!

Reply to
mogga

I suppose one of these days i`m going to have to reinvent the wheel and write a bookmark conversion app...

I`ve already got a couple of daft ones to rip the bookmarks from Opera and Firefox to a text file - I could just do with automating the process back into Opera or Firefox from the other :-}

I only tend to write them in QBasic, so they`re a little restricted as filenames go (you need to rename them and have the bookmarks in a particular path), but it takes about 0.05 seconds to do my ~2230 bookmarks under 110 directories (I suppose I should build in a timer just to check)

Reply to
Colin Wilson