Fireboarding- joints and edges

Hi all,

Is there a fireproof way to join fireboard? And do you have to do something special at the edges where the fireboard butts up against the plasterboarding?

I'm applying fireboarding to the underside of a staircase (naughty developers....) and want to do it properly. Not much point putting fireboard in place if the fire just finds the gaps.... It's not in a place where anyone will see it (void between my bathroom ceiling and the stairs to the floor above) so it doesn't have to be beautiful. Initially thought scrim tape but its glass fibre and that burns like crazy.... Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Ben

Reply to
Ben

what's this stuff like ?

do you think it would put up with being unscrewed once in a while if I used it to make service ducts ?

thanks...

Jeremy

Reply to
brugnospamsia

My builder friend was advised to use fireboard by the BCO when he redid the ceiling in my basement. He used some tape that looked like aluminium gaffer tape which was made especially for the job!!

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence Milbourn

Wow. That's the stuff. Better go looking for it.I suspected something was out there for the purpose. :) Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Fibreglass burns?? Fire PB is just ordinary PB with chopped fiberglass mixed in. Helps hold it together longer. Aluminium foil otoh _does_ burn.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I have to seal around the fireboard that the builder used for the garage ceiling to get the works signed off by the buildings inspector. Wondered if this high temp silicone would do the job, rated to 300C

is there some other fireproof sealant available?

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener

After a bit of googling I found