Fire Safety and replacement

Hi there

I have a Flavel emberglow gas fire - purchased 1990 and used every winter since, with yearly service. Am currently financially stretched due to redundancy, and have a couple of worries about this appliance. Firstly, the glass front has started to craze, secondly it takes up to 3 attempts to get the ignition to light (sometimes it just makes a clicking noise when turned but doesn't produce a spark) ........ does either of these details mean the fire would be unsafe to use in anyway please? It is about 4 months before the next service is due and I'd rather not pay a call out fee for this if unneccesary.

Also - when economics permit, we would like to replace this fire with a new, perhaps smaller model, as this is quite a chunky cast iron one, but all the fires I've seen other than this model either have cheap plastic looking bodies or don't have glass fronts but are open to the air, so if anyone can reccommend a good model I'd be grateful.

thanks for any help or advice

Clive

Reply to
ejl

Can`t help specifically, but for now you could buy a cheap disposable=20 carbon monoxide detector to put your mind at ease - they`re usually only=20 about =A34-5 for a pair IIRC

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

Colin Wilson