FIRE DOORS - FD20

Can anyone advise me on the definition of FD20 fire doors? Our council asked us to ensure all our existing doors were FD20 doors when we submitted an application to convert our loft into bedrooms.

We believe we have them - solid Victorian doors with (newly fitted) self closers. Friends in our street who converted their lofts before us have the same type of door, and the council was happy with them.

But because we managed to squeeze 3 bedrooms up therethe Building Control Officers suddenly insisted we replace all our existing doors because they can't be sure they'll last for 20 mins in a fire. Yet these are the same type of door that were fine for our friends' lofts...

How can you show a Victorian door is FD20 equivalent? Can the council refuse us a Completion Certificate given all they initally asked for was FD20s, which we believe we have?

Not the most rivetting topic, but any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Kate Chacksfield

is your friend

Reply to
R obbo

There are special rules that don't require you to change your doors after some loft conversions. However, the rules are conditional on various things (i.e. provision of an escape window, limited number of rooms). Your conversion does not come under these conditions, so you will need to change your doors for fire doors. It is very unlikely that they will accept an uncertificated Victorian panel door.

Your friends' doors are probably not FD20, nor would they need to be.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

With difficulty - but have a look at

, this might solve your problem.

Yes - belief is a wonderful thing but no match for an obdurate council official.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Does each bedroom have its own means of escape (window etc)?

The usual requirement is that the new doors in the loft need to be FD20 or better (most you buy are actually FD30), however those that open onto the escape route in the rest of the house usaully only need to be made self closing.

You can't. FD20 implies they have been tested (not individually obviously) to that standard. Ordinary doors may well pass the tests (but equally they may not), but if the maker has never submitted (and paid for) the testing they will not be certificated to the standard.

They can refuse if they want. It may be worth enquiring why they want FD20 doors in the rest of the house when in previous cases they have not insisted on this.

Well worth investigating though, during a fire would not be the time to find out there is something inadequate in the fire protection!

Reply to
John Rumm

Further to this. Approved Document B:

The special rules for loft conversions apply if:

Reply to
Christian McArdle