Fire Break Question

Hi all

I am routing some round ducting through the corner of a kitchen and into the loft space. This passes through the ceiling close to a wall and so breaches the fire break effect of said ceiling. However, I have an access hatch into the loft space "BIG BREACH".

So why should I go to the expense of a fire break type duct section which will be inside/above a cupboard? These fire break ducts are not available for the round duct I intend to run either!

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

No one can force you to use a fire break, but it is wise to do so. My reccomendation would be to use normal ducting and then fill the whole thing with fire retardent foam (it's pink instead of the usual yellow. Also, what's your hatch lid made from? - AFAIK they sell pre-made ones but I doubt they are any more fire resistant than the usual chunk of plywood / hardboard etc given that they are made from plastic.

Reply to
Phil L

"Phil L" wrote

How does the air pass through a foam filled duct?

the usual chunk of plywood!

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I assumed you meant ducting for pipework / cables etc

Which negates any fire barrier anway...the weakest link will always go first. My advice is to just use normal ducting.

Reply to
Phil L