Fire alarms

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them. However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

To answer my own question, I have just found out that the chirp is coming from one of the old alarms that the fire brigade has left behind.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Smoke alarms chirp when the battery is getting flat and needs replacing. A hot day may be enough to raise the battery's terminal voltage and so the chirping stops - only to start again at 1am when the night gets colder :)

Reply to
Alan

Didn't know the Fire Brigade did commercial work.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Hampshire Fire service will put free fire alarms in anyones homes IIRC. They offered to do ours once when we ahd to call them out.

Reply to
mo

They do lots, they only fight fires for a very small percentage of their time.

They fit smoke alarms for free to the vulnerable. They just supplied and fitted a nice wireless alarm for my dad. It has a flashing light, extra loud alarm and a vibrating pillow pad as he can't hear a normal alarm (I tried three different sounding ones but gave up).

Reply to
dennis

Neither did I, but we got the originals fitted some years ago when next door's clothes drier caught fire and blackened her house. The fire brigade fitted them after they put the fire out.

They came back to the village centre in a high profile visit and when my wife went to see what they were up to, she was asked if we had any smoke detectors fitted. When she told them how long we had had them they said that they would change them for the ten year battery jobbies. I'm always up for a bit of free maintenance :-) One man changed the detectors and the other went through a script to determine how much we are at risk of a fire. Have you got a chip pan? No Do either of you smoke? No Do you close all the doors when you go to bed? Yea

He turned round after and said that we were on the lowest scale of having a house fire. Not that bad considering I was trained by Oldham fire brigade in how to tackle a cotton mill fire, Lancashire brigade in how to tackle a fire, but I can't remember the circumstances and finally by British Aerospace on tackling an aircraft fire, so I think he was preaching to the converted some what :-) Makes you wonder though, how is this funded?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Oi! I might be 62 and have just got my first bus pass, but I am not vulnerable yet :-)

Might need that for the wife, she will not admit that she is going deaf. FIL was quite deaf, but he put that down to being a gunner during W.W.II. Now I think it runs/ran in the family, as FILs mother was quite deaf.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Through taxes.

Fires are expensive, smoke alarms are cheap, and the brigade do it when they'd otherwise be sitting watching "Trisha"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That did cross my mind :-)