Finishing Plaster help needed

How do I mix it ? Thick? Thin? how do I put it on? This is needed cause me wife just volunteered me to do a job after I pleeded ignorance she stared me in the face and told me YOU LL DO FINE threatningly so Im scared I mess it up help please?
YOU WILL MESS IT UP!!!!! Leave plastering to plasterers my friend.

You might, but with a bit of practice, I don't see why the OP shouldn't be able to make a reasonable attempt at it
This is uk.diy, not uk.don't try this at home kiddies
--
geoff

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:31:35 GMT, Alan The Braw wrote

If it's any help, tell your wife that some of us -- even those who are fairly able on most diy stuff -- consider plastering to be one of those things you just *never* try doing yourself. (Plastering looks simple, but the skill base isn't learned overnight.)
If you absolutely *have* to do it yourself, the process is:
    1. Read up on it.     2. Do as many practice attempts as you can before      tackling the real job.     3. Do the job.     4. Ring a plasterer to come and do remedial work to      clean up the crap job you've just done. :)
--
Cheers, Harvey

Finish coat should just about slide off the trowel when you hold it vertical, whereas Scratch coat (bonding plaster) will need a slight jurk of the wrist to make it slide off.

In an upward sweeping motion working across the bottom of the wall, and then working upwards. If you don't know how to handle it, getting it to the wall in the first place (rather than down your sleeve or in your shoe) will be amusing;-)

Ask her to show you how to do it.

I learned it in 2 days (actually, mostly 1 day) on a course. I went from being completely useless to being better than the plasterers I was hiring, and so did every one of the 16 people on the course. I think the issue is that you have to be shown how to do it, and taken through all the things which can go wrong and how to correct them. Reading up on it just doesn't work. Before I did the course, I had joked that 90% of learning how to plaster was actually learning how to make it look easy. This turned out to be not far off the truth -- an appreciable part of the course was learning how to handle the plaster and the tools correctly and confidently. The plaster knows if you don't know what your doing, and like a naughty child, will make the most of your ignorance;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:57:04 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote
-snip-

Oddly enough, that's sort of what I meant by "not overnight"! A one- or two-day intensive course would undoubtedly be useful for the guy. (Like everyone has said, plastering is one of those things you don't learn from a book.)

Confidence is undoubtedly the big thing: for example, I find bricklaying incredibly laborious -- I can do it, but not easily, not quickly, and not particularly well -- and I'm sure if I felt confident enough to just get down and *do* the ****ing job rather than worry about the finer details, it'd go a lot easier.
--
Cheers, Harvey

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:31:35 +0100, "Alan The Braw"

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will most probably end up with your wife not being quite so willing to suggest you tackle other plastering projects. The chance of success is, err, slim, and this is one of those trades which you can't learn out of a book.
Before you begin this journey of discovery you may wish to consult with a plasterer to see what his charges are for sorting out a botched job compared with being given a green field wall on which he can apply his trade. If you've left him with something which he cannot use as a foundation then it's blue movie time - it's all got to come off.....
PoP
right Im even more worried now she can scream if she wants I aint doin it. thanks everyone for your help:-)