Finding joists

I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of

studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where th nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the botto rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle fro just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpete floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls bu doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyon suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result

-- pebe

Reply to
pebe

Why not lift the carpet?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

you asking me or the OP ?

Reply to
.

That's certainly the easiest way. You'll then see where the nails are in the floorboards.

Alternatively, use the stud finder on the ceiling below and do some careful measuring to transfer the joist position information upstairs.

Your screwheads will need to go right down hard onto the bottom frame member to do any good - so you'll be screwing blind once you've gone through the plasterboard.

Incidentally, your squeaking floor is more likely to be floorboards moving on the joists than the stud wall moving - so you'll probably end up lifting the carpet, anyway.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No, specifically you. Why don't you go and lift your carpet right now? You probably don't have anything better to do

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It looks like I will have to lift the carpet. I didn't want to becaus it's in the hall and there are four doors with thresholds to deal with I doubt I'll get it back as it was

-- pebe

Reply to
pebe

Not usually difficult if it has gripperrods. You just have to tuck the edges back down with a paint scraper

Reply to
Stuart Noble