Finding draughts.

Finding where the main ones are coming in. Techniques? Yes, I know there's a vicious one coming through the letterbox, but what about cold air coming in from the floorboards under cupboards, or through carpets?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

===================== A lit candle will detect some draughts. The flame will flicker or bend away from the source of the draught.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Even better blow it out and watch the cloud of smoke drift along.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

then you could just buy a jos-stick type incense thing which would smoke for longer and smell nicer too.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Your obsessed with draughts man...just find the regular draughts and leave it at that, or put your woolies on.

Regular draughts : door frames, windows and loft panel.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not really, the house can be pretty chilly, for children, anyway.

Ah! The trapdoor!! I'll stick some masking tape around it to see what happens (it's about a yard square).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Nooo try some draft excluder stuff like they put round doors and hold it secure with some hooks and catches...

Reply to
mogga

Have you got room for a vestibule door in your hall? This made a vast difference to my place with a north facing front.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You find draughts in the cupboard in the common room in the home, alongside the Ludo.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Now Drivel, you know Nursie doesn't let you near the games cupboard ever since you swallowed all the Es from the Scrabble set.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How do you know Mr Craniums nursie?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Dave, What do you mean by a vestibule door?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Its an inner door directly after the front door cased in.

Look it up in the dictionary.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Very popular in the colder parts of the country, and more effective than a double glazed UPV door - if properly fitted. Of course not all house designs allow for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't most people call it a porch. Maybe a "porch" has to stick out from the building. Maybe it depends on the order in which you install the two doors. Vestibule suggests a large house to me, with door half way down the hall, like some large old London flats. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The porch is a US name for it.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

A porch goes outside the front door and usually ruins the appearance of the house if added afterwards.

It is by definition inside the house. But many modern small houses have them - a friend has a Barrat's box with one.

Mine is just over a meter down the hallway. Someone on the large side couldn't close the front door before opening it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Not as I see it. A US porch might be more elaborate than a UK one but it still should be an exterior structure. In the UK at least a porch does not necessarily have a door at its outside end. OTOH I would expect a vestibule to be both inside the main house structure and to have a second door leading (usually) into the main hall.

Reply to
Roger