finding a neutral

double posting - delete this one!

Reply to
suiko

hiya everyone could someone out their help me please,when i install

boiler etc and a new room thermostat is to be fitted it can be ver confusing as to what wires are what,find the live no problem but alo of installations i see is where someone has only fitted 3 core cabl and use the earth wire as a switched live if thats the case always ta the switched live to warn others,when i install a complete heatin system and full controls always use 4 core ,

here is my problem which i really hope someone can help please

please can someone help how do you get a true test to find the neutra i would be extremly grateful if someone could just clear thi frustrating question up please.

all the bes

-- heating tech

Reply to
heating tech

hiya everyone could someone out their help me please,when i install

boiler etc and a new room thermostat is to be fitted it can be ver confusing as to what wires are what,plus nearly always only 3 core ha been installed and use the earth as a switched live,i can wher possible change it to a 4 core with the correct colour coding.

this is my problem and really hope someone out there can help

please can someone help how do you get a true test to find the neutra i would be extremly grateful if someone could just clear thi frustrating question up please.

all the best

gar

-- heating tech

Reply to
heating tech

[...]

so sorry i posted more than one thread it took a long time to go on an

didnt think it had gone through

all the best

gar

-- heating tech

Reply to
heating tech

I see diybanter is up to its usual standard.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Most use triple and earth for this purpose. It's against regulations to use a bare earth conductor for anything other than earth.

However, if this has been done check inside the CH junction box to find out how it's been wired - then fit a modern thermostat of the programmable variety which doesn't need an earth or neutral being battery operated, and make sure you wire it up without using the ECC on the TW&E cable for anything other than an earth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Usenet can take time. Also be aware that messages to usenet won't make to to all servers, and it's possible that your own news server won't serve your own message back to you or other users it's carrying.

Reply to
Hywel Jenkins

You don't have to use the crappy DIYBanter front end, you know ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

What worries me is someone with so little knowledge wiring up anything...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try looking at the other end of the cable where it enters the boiler or the wiring juction box near the motorised valves.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

yawn... this is getting repetitive.

I hope something called the "usenet death penalty" (google it) is probably not too far from being invoked against the operators of diy-banter. How many torn mis-threaded and repeated posts should be allowed to propagate from this spamming outfit?

If you are reading this post through this web interface you may find better group responses by installing a proper newsreader (it's not hard, one may already be on your machine) or if that is unavoidable choosing the rather better posting services of google groups. You'd be doing this community a great favour!!

:-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C