Finally got toilet bowl sparkling again with Mr Muscle limescale destroyer

I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not for food use".

MM

Reply to
MM

Spirits of salts is cheaper.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Moving to a soft water area may be even more cost effective, if he's in London. ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

No fun in that ,leave it and the loo brush in the dishwasher for the missus to find.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It's more me I have to worry about, I'm afraid! Since I take a statin for the ole ticker now, I am more forgetful than I used to be (side effect). Don't want to make the mistake myself! You know, using the turkey baster for preparing a meal, like. That's why I put the thing

*in the garage*, so as not to be "tempted" in a couple of years from now, when I might have otherwise said, Oh look! There's the turkey baster! Use that!

What I *really* wanted to use was the Rule IL200 submersible bilge pump I bought a few years ago, but the ruddy thing won't pump any more. The motor runs, but it won't pump, even if I prime it. It was over 20 quid as I recall, so not cheap. And hardly ever used.

I've been looking on Amazon for other cheap pumps, but once bitten, twice shy. And the turkey baster DOES work, albeit rather slowly.

MM

Reply to
MM

I think it's the method rather than the product that's led to your success. In my experience, Tesco's own brand limescale remover is more effective than Mr Muscle's.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

One day you'll make someone a lovely wife :)

Reply to
Dave Baker

You are that tedious, shouty Barry Scott wanker and I claim my £5.

Reply to
Onetap

We've been watching Obsessive Compulsive cleaners (On last night, no idea what channel but probably ch4) and it's insane. They show people who use several litres of bleach a day cleaning their houses and then take them to scruff-holes and they get to clean there.

It is actually quite amusing - if you like seeing how other people live. The show house style is quite scary, and it seems most of the cleaning obsessives have jobs and fit in 16+ hours of cleaning around their job too. Although one lady in last nights gave up her banking job to set up a cleaning company.

Last week I think it was there was a lady who cleaned her toilet by emptying it out and then scrubbing it excessively everywhere.

It's punctuated by some 'germ-o-phobes' who get to go out to places and do swab testing of things to see whether they are below the food hygeine standard of 500 (whatever per whatever). They looked at taxis last week and a bowling alley and bar this week and I think all had very low readings. Apart from the stem of the glass which was quite high really although below the 500 limit.

Reply to
mogga

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I merely meant that Mr Muscle (which is expensive) isn't any better than cheap stuff. I certainly don't find it necessary to empty the toilet bowl to clean it.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Well, although I didn't say in my first post that I had tried other products, I *had* tried toilet cleaners (though not specifically

*limescale* destroyers) from: Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda. All got the bowl ~somewhat~ clean, but I have to admit, I did NOT completely dry the bowl BEFORE applying those alternative products. Had I done so, yes, I may have received exactly the same result.

But my feeling is that the Mr Muscle product is a different formulation and is specifically (says so on the bottle) a limescale

*destroyer*.

Anyway, it'll be months before I need it again.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well, do you touch the toilet door handle in a public convenience stall? I don't! I hold it to pull the door open with a sheet of loo paper as a protective.

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh last weeks woman would only buy big name bleaches...

2-3L a day is a bit excessive though?
Reply to
mogga

In which case the turkey baster might come out again, but for its other non-food use...

Reply to
polygonum

Wet and dry vacuum cleaner, about five seconds for the whole job.

Agreed there is a psychological barrier, but half an hour in dilute bleach would sterilise it.

There's far more bugs on the average steering wheel, touch screen, or chopping board than on a loo seat!.

Reply to
newshound