Final master / slave socket dies ;-(

Hi All,

The fourth of the 4 x master / slave multi way trailing socket thingies has just died (powering my daughters PC and peripherals).

They were fairly cheap (£9.99 each or summat) from one of those gadget shop places.

I think we like the idea of them (turn off PC, everything else goes off) so would like to know if there are some 'better' made / designed models out there and if so how much and from where please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. These ones seem pretty well sealed up but I'm guessing it's just the relay contacts that have finally given up the ghost. I believe the 'manual' switch simply overrides the current sense circuitry and forces the relay over, hence still no power either way.

Reply to
T i m

yes there are plenty of better ones, but they are 40 quid or so upwards, wait till aldi or lidl do them again

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ah, ok, if you remember can you give us a heads up please (I don't go in either place as a matter of course).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'll try.

mrc

Reply to
mrcheerful

If your PC has a switched monitor output why not control a relay via that? Even if it hasn't, you could use the internal 12 volt supply to switch one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not got (those were the days eh!) ;-)

Hmm, that's a thought.

I did pop out and get a couple of std 6 way, surge protected trailing sockets yesterday, just so I could get all her PC gear up and going and was looking to feed them via a simply 'isolator' switch that she could easily reach (but not accidentally touch) that would kill the lot (PC, two TFT's, printer, scanner, powered speakers, digicam dock, midi kbd etc etc).

The other thought was a wireless remote switch so we could kill it from downstairs when she won't turn it off and go to bed! ;-)

So a 12V fed, mains rated, double pole, chassis mounted relay / contactor in a suitable box (CU / Din type modular maybe?) could be on the cards (but the resultant not 'approved' like a bought solution might be).

A 'solid state' one would be nice (silent, no contact wear / bounce) but how much? ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

But should work. ;-)

I'd stick with a normal one. A half decent quality type will outlast any computer. ;-)

Maplin used to do a 7.5 amp DPDT 'open' power relay with either 12 or 240 volt coils for 4 quid which seems to last for ever. Clonks a bit when operating, but that's half the pleasure. ;-)

However, the simplest one to wire would be an octal type with a screw terminal base which you can get near anywhere - even TLC IIRC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or the 5V from a USB connector.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"mrcheerful ." typed

My Tchibo master/slave has died after a few months.

I only used it for my bedside collection (lamp, projecting alarm clock, radio & phone/fax/answering machine). I should have just used an ordinary triling socket.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

That's the place Helen .. ;-)

If it wasn't being turned of via the master thing then it might well have been .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

True .. and longer than 6 months! ;-)

Fair enough .. ;-)

I saw one on there earlier .. PCB mount though ..

I may even have some somewhere!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think 12V might be easier (hookup, current rating, relay availability etc) out though a gromet on the back panel from one of the 4 way Molex connectors.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is that one of those sockets that switches on when the Trimphone, er, trills?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

T i m typed

All appliances were 'slaves'. Clock & ans/fax were on all the time, lamp & radio were sitched at appliance end.

Then it died; I was not happy.

Have normal surge strip now.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

So that you do not miss the Lidl offers go to their web site and register, you will then get them, in advance, twice weekly, I don't know if Aldi offer the same service but a quick glim of their web site will tell.

Reply to
Broadback