Filters on CH Primary?

Having just replaced a blocked DHW HX, any views on the relative merits of the Sentinel

the Magnaclean (both stocked by BES).

The Magnaclean has built in isolation valves for cleaning; is the Sentinel a cyclone type device which you flush periodically from the bottom of the cone?

The Sentinel looks a bit more suited to my layout.

TIA

Reply to
newshound

If I had a ferrous system ... I would fit the Magnackean .. impressed when I saw the demo unit at local BSS

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I would have thought a cyclonic filter would be better since it can trap all the particulates, not just the ferrous ones...

(obviously better to prevent it corroding in the first place if you can!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Why spend all that time and money when chems can stop the problem in the first place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The pragmatic answer is probably twofold; one when you inherit a system where preventative care was not taken, and secondly there may be some contaminants that will be unaffected by inhibitor etc and missed with the initial flushing during installation.

(having said that, I put a strainer on the return when I did my last boiler - in the following two years it collected one small particle of grit in total, and that was on old pipework and rads of indeterminate age/condition)

Reply to
John Rumm

Proper cleaning then more chems is the answer there too.

Such as?

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for all the comments. I've got inhibitor in it, it's a bit of a complicated system and I don't fancy doing a proper flush at the moment, I thought perhaps a filter would help to sweep up the debris. It isn't generating gas so I'm assuming it isn't corroding badly. I guess I would squirt another dose of inhibitor in while it is "open".

Reply to
newshound