Filtering

It is covered in motorcycle training. On motorways, the legality of it has always been debatable but the police ?allow? it so long as is done with care.

In traffic, the things to watch for are unannounced, all of a sudden right turns or u-turns from cars. Traffic pulling out from the left, (ie they are turning right but will be looking for traffic to their left and not expecting a two wheeled vehicle coming up on the outside). Oncoming traffic (obviously). Doors, it is rare that a driver will throw open their door in traffic but it does happen. Fag ends are a particular problem when they get thrown out of the window but when they are, and they just miss you if you shout ?thanks? straight away as you pass the car, it freaks the hell out of the driver. PS chucking fag ends out of cars is illegal.

Pedal cyclists filtering on the left have additional problems such as oncoming traffic turning right and the traffic they are passing turning left. Getting doored by a passenger getting out is a very real problem. Don?t be fooled by the provision of a cycle lane, a cycle lane in this instance is a very dangerous place. Then if you do get to the front, you need to get in front of the car in front to make sure they see you. If it is a larger vehicle, especially with a high cab, DON?T DO IT, wait behind. For others it was the last thing they did. Don?t be fooled by cycle lanes either, they offer no protection.

And?

Never ever ever (no never) filter on the left if there are railings, even if there is a cycle lane. If the traffic moves left or turns left you will die by crushing.

Reply to
Simon Weaseltemper

All well and good.

Which Road Traffic Act defines it?

Where is it mentioned in the Highway Code?

Reply to
JNugent

Probably none

Probably nowhere, it?s the kind of stuff you need to learn to stay alive.

Reply to
Simon Weaseltemper

So it's unofficial, "folk" advice and nobody else is obliged to take the slightest notice of it?

Reply to
JNugent

It is also frowned upon by insurance companies, they reduce claims for people thought to be 'filtering'

Reply to
Mrcheerful

'Filtering' is of course another name for overtaking on the inside - a very stupid & dangerous practice.

Should I see a bicyclist intent on doing so in my mirrors, I 'take the lane' and move to the left to prevent him from carrying out a dangerous manouvere.

Reply to
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Just shows what a twat you are.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It shows he is wrong again.

Filtering *should* be done on the right. Generally speaking when cars pull over to the left they do cyclists a favour. Problem is, some of them pull over to the right either because they are turning right ahead or they are leaving space on the left as a courtesy.

Pulling over to the left is what drivers *should* do, Dave is so incredibly thick that he thinks by doing so he is somehow annoying the cyclists. He is actually doing them a favour. I bet, after having it explained to him he still won?t see it.

And he thinks pulling over to the left is 'taking the lane'. How wrong can anyone be? This is a cracker, even by Dave's standards.

I am just glad he does not fit together flat-pack furniture for me :-)

Reply to
Simon Weaseltemper

I love it when drivers move over to the left to block the cycle lane and try and prevent you from cycling past them, as it simply frees up more space on their offside when you can pass them with ease :-)

-- Simon Mason

Reply to
Simon Mason

It's kind of like Dave and Judith. They just *cannot* win :-)

Reply to
Simon Weaseltemper

Reply to
Adrian C

Nothing wrong with that.

Off you go down the right hand side. Knock yourself out.

Reply to
JNugent

The trick is to do it at the very last second.

Reply to
Bob Eager

cyclists enjoy that, they wave and shout with glee as you drive away up the road. Why they sit beside their machines I don't know, it is some 'cycling' thing I suppose.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I must admit to doing that on occassion - not normally, but on certain roads. For instance, I used to work in Disley and had to travel along the A6 from the M60. There were two lanes each way and in the mornings, taking the right lane meant getting stuck behind right turning vehicles at each junction, while taking the left meant getting stuck behind bikes. The trouble was that passing bikes was very difficult due to traffic in the right lane. Crawling behind a bike inevitably meant that by the time you got past, you got stopped at the next lights and the bike would pass you and the whole thing would start again. If on the other hand you blocked the cyclist from getting ahead at the red lights, you would then have a clear run and the next set of lights would be green and you would then be on a run of green lights.

It may be wrong, but the alternative was a very slow and frustrating journey to work every day - plus losing money, as I was hourly paid.

I do cycle as well and can see both sides.

There is an insoluble problem, cars and slower moving bikes do not mix well on such roads, but due to existing buildings, etc. there is no space to add extra width and dedicated cycle lanes.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There is *always* a gap large enough for a cyclist to get through in stationary traffic. Hell only yesterday when I was stuck in my car on a dual carriageway in nose to tail traffic, motorcyclists with panniers were driving down the centre of the lane in between the inside and overtaking lanes with ease, so if I had been on my bike it would have been a piece of cake to pass the lot of them.

-- Simon Mason

Reply to
Simon Mason

Re: Message-ID:

It appears that the above post was an abusive or trolling messsage from Mrcheerful, a known serial offender. We apologise for any distress this obnoxious message may have caused, it has now been reported to

a violation of their acceptable use policy. This does not preclude additional reports of this abuse, should you feel so motivated.

Thank you for your patience during this hopefully brief interruption to your usenet pleasure.

Reply to
Mick the Moderator

What is it about cyclists that they ignore the 'law' regularly when it suits them but want 'laws' on what is basically a free speech medium with none?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its called the paradox of the Left.

The demand for everything to be totally free and fair, except to people who oppose them or have different views, which are banned/demonized for the public good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like the 'right' to me. ;-)

Reply to