Filtered instead of Distilled

Hi all. I got one of those 'water pictures' with little plastic fish inside that bob about in streams of bubbles. For 20 month old daughter's entertainment purposes. The instructions say to use distilled water..but will Britta filtered water be good enough?

thanks

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

"Arthur" wrote | I got one of those 'water pictures' with little plastic fish inside | that bob about in streams of bubbles. For 20 month old daughter's | entertainment purposes. | The instructions say to use distilled water..but will Britta | filtered water be good enough?

I think probably, but I'd also suggest boiling the filtered water vigourously and then cooling before using. AFAIK jug filters don't kill bacteria, spores, etc. Although if there is any chance a 20 month old could get at and drink after the contents have been fermenting, it might be wiser to follow the mfr's instructions exactly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The display is wall mounted and plugs into the mains (power consumption =

5w). I was only concerned about damaging the electrics.

arthur

Reply to
Arthur

"Owain" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nnrp-t71-02.news.uk.clara.net:

I would have thought tap water would be better - one of the reasons filtered water can go off is it hasn't got the preservatives of tap water any more, so I have to clean out the algae regularly

mike

Reply to
mike ring

The chlorine will disipate fairly quickly, tap water is then fairly nutrient rich and well oxygenated... Depend on how hard your tap water is, scale could be a problem as well.

One easy source of "distilled" water is the ice crusting from your freezer. If you pick bits without the normal freezer detritus the melt will be pretty clean, low in oxygen and nutrients.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Possibly. Do you have a dehumidifier? I don't know if the Britta 'filter' is just a filter, or if it removes other stuff too. They probably are worried about sca;e amd other stuff depositing on things and making pump bits last not quite as long.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

entertainment

I should have figured that out for myself.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

no, 2 totally different animals.

Reply to
N. Thornton

Use any water that's clear enough to see through.

Then add a splash of 20 month old daughter's Milton sterilising liquid, to stop it going green from algae. If it's for a 20 year old son instead, use a Campden tablet from his home-brew gear. No matter how clean the water when you add it, you'll get algal growth if it's exposed to the air and has sunlight.

Filtered water is quite different to distilled (or what's more likely these days, de-ionised water). Either will have been filtered and more or less de-bugged. However distillation will also remove dissolved minerals - just try filtering salty water some time (just before you change the filter).

If there's any evaporation, use distilled. This avoids rings of limescale forming around the top.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Though the concern about bacteria is probably reasonable too.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You are unlikely to do this. I used a 10.99 B&Q "pyramid water fountain" (the ugliest desktop "water feature" I've ever seen), for pumping copper plating solution. Worked well, for about 6 months. (IIRC, 10% sulphuric acid, copper sulphate, ...)

Reply to
Ian Stirling