Filling/Smoothing Between Paint Coats

Hi all

Having applied the first coat of paint to the kichen walls, a number of minor(ish) issues have been highlighted. These are mainly indentations in filled chases and the like. The paint used is Dulux "Kitchen" matt emulsion - supposed to be fat resistant etc.

The question is what is the best filler-type-stuff to use between coats to smooth out the irregularities?

My preference would be to scrape in decorator's caulk, but I'm not sure how well this would stick to existing paint coat.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Caulk is normally a bit flexible for filling larger gaps e.g. between window or door frames and walls. You definitely don't want that. You might mean decorators' filler. Probably best to sand the affected area lightly before using.

Reply to
newshound

"newshound" wrote

Thanks Newhound

These are more like surface indentations, certainly not gaps between frames. Good point about the sanding advice though.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Decorator centres sell fine surfce filler, not polyfilla, which is made for this purpose - between coat filling. It can go on microscopically thin and not crack or peel, even over paper and it's sandable within about 45mins.

Caulk should never be used to fill walls - it can't be sanded

Reply to
Phil L