Filling Round Socket Boxes

Hi all

Just thinking ahead to those fiddly jobs... Making reasonable progress with the kitchen first fix. Having chopped a fair number of metal boxes in, I was considering the best (easiest) way to fill around them. The gaps vary from 3 to 6mm - anyone got any useful suggestions/tips. I'm thinking syringes, or maybe there's a cartridge gun product that would be an improvement on trying to "work filler in" using a filling knife.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I just use plaster or filler. I also have some bits of hardboard that are a snug fit into the box opening so you can just splodge the stuff on without worrying about filling up the box. Once the plaster/filler has started to set run a knife around the edge and prise out the hard board. An improvement would be a "screw handle" to assist removal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One of the non solvent based gripfill type products will do... it will aid in the fixing as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the wall is solid double brick, excavate deeper and slip a piece of marmox 6mm or similar insulation behind. That eliminates the cold bridge caused by wiring accessories if you have a kettle nearby.

Splodge plaster around the perimeter of the hole, then insert the backbox, let the plaster go "green" and cut off with a knife. Realise plaster will hold a backbox vastly more rigid than a mere screw through the rear.

You may want to run horizontal oval or conduit between any horizontal runs where you might want another socket or wiring accessory, or reroute cable in the future due to damage or changes. That way you can just grind through a tile and add a backbox magically into pre- existing conduit etc. Can be more use on bedroom walls actually where furniture changes suddenly obscure sockets and you need to magically insert others without redecorating.

Reply to
js.b1

Ideally the gap should be larger than this - I always cut out for boxes at least an inch larger all around to allow for a decent depth of plaster / filler / whatever.....it's like hairline cracks in a ceiling, a slither of filler doesn't work, it needs to be raked out to give a decent depth and width.

Personally I'd use a clean scraper and some skimming if you have any to hand, if not, all purpose filler

Reply to
Phil L

Is the best way to do it. I still screw the back box in as well.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I usually put the screw in when the plaster has gone off. It means chopping the top off a rawlplug to get it through the hole but at least you know the box isn't going to move as you're drilling

Reply to
stuart noble