filling in holes in steel

I have a pair of brackets, which attach to a rubber roller.

The brackets have a sequence of M10 clearance holes .... in order to improve the fitting I need to offset the roller ... new holes can be drilled OK ... but for one of the holes it will be almost touching existing hole.

The brackets are 50 x 5mm galvanized steel plate, I know that if I try to fill holes by welding it may be messy due to Galv .... Previously I used bronze welding (oft referred to as brazing) ... but no longer have appropriate filler rod or flux.

My intent is to faff about with it until happy with position, apply some Galvroid on for now, and then use until end of boating season then send them off for re-galvanizing.

Any suggestions ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I'd bugger it till you have exactly what you want and then get a custom made bracket made and galved up. My impression from very limited messing about in boats, is that what you need is tough, I've seen yachts come back with pulleys bent and torn apart, cleats ripped out and lord knows what else.

I wouldn't trust a brazed solution, or a welded one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

If you intend having them re-galvanized, grind it off where the joint is and weld normally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not a joint though it's 11mm holes .... one in each side of bracket ... had to reposition holes 22mm forward, new holes don't overlap old ones, but pretty close ... so thought of filling in old ones with weld.

Reply to
Rick Hughes