Filling floor board gaps

I am working on a 1930s house, and have replaced some of the floorboards in the bedroom. Sadly they are narrower than the existing ones so I have gaps between. Bearing in mind that, sooner or later, they will have to be removed (it might be me!) to gain access to wiring and water pipes any ideas as to what to plug the gap with. Or, as the room will be carpeted, shall I just get a paper underlay put down? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

I fill these type of gaps with chipboard, that can be cut to size shape.

The guy that had my house before me cut out loads of small bits of board, and I had a right pile of bit and bobs, now is one rather weid shaped bit of chipboard screwed down. With carpet over the top, you have no idea its there.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Not what you want to hear, but if you had gone along to a local timber merchant or timber mill and bought over-sized metric floorboards, they might have put them through a thicknesser/planer for you to get the exact size you needed. I found an old boy at a local builders' merchant with a thicknesser and he did a few planks for free.

I am assuming you bought metric boards in the next width down from the required imperial size, and I expect they're about a millimetre too thick too?

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece