Filling around electric cables

We had a new consumer unit installed recently. Large hole in porch ceiling where cables go off to various circuits. When we open the cupboard suction pulls cavity wall insulation through hole into cupboard. Is there anything I can use to seal around grey twin and earth? Probably mostly fairly old (not rubber)but in good condition.

Reply to
Invisible Man

through

Probably

Expanding foam?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Invisible Man coughed up some electrons that declared:

PU (expanding) foam?

Reply to
Tim S

Just concerned that such stuff is OK. Some chemicals damage the cable.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Invisible Man coughed up some electrons that declared:

Funnily enough I was examining a can of Screwfix's NoNonsense own brand in their depot this very day and it said suitable for window frames, gaps in insulating board and around cables and pipes.

We're asssuming that one doesn;t bury the cables in so much that they overheat though...

Reply to
Tim S

decorators caulk

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The Wickes own label stuff has much the same written on the can re it being suitable around electric cables.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How big is large, meaning in gap between the hole edges and the cable bundle?

Expanding foam is tricky and very sticky stuff to use. Trying to fill a hole more than an inch or so wide over head with domestic type "foam in can" could well produce a story as good as the one already in the wiki. B-)

It would also be a PITA should you need to add or change any circuits. Think I'd stuff a bit of glass wool up the hole and cover that with a thin bit of wood with a shapped notch to go around the cables attached with screws to the ceiling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Given one of the main uses is sealing round PVC windows I'd say it's safe with PVC cable?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The PVC is windows is different to that in cables. One has plasticisers in it to keep it flexible.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks to all.

I find trying to use expanding filler a nightmare at the best of times.

Hole is in ceiling about an inch above the CU and about 6 inches wide with cables entering it at all angles. Not a pretty sight.

I will probably use some carefully profiled hardboard or mdf. Glass wool is a good idea for a final seal.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I would just put in a removable U shaped |_______| 1 inch high wooden frame the same size as the top of the CU. Use a bit of draught excluding foam to seal it against the CU, ceiling and walls.

Reply to
Geo

Might it be possible to buy one of those things to go behind a letter box, with bristles about an inch long to keep the draught out or stop peeping Toms or whatever. Cut it in two at the ends and fit it round the cables.

Reply to
Mike Barnes