Filler - which one

Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

For creamy stuff, you can mix 'powder filler' up to exactly the consistency you require - i.e. polyfilla, porridge or pancake mix. But bear in mind, it does remain powdery/porous until sealed/painted. That can make smoothing very easy though. It's dirt cheap too. A few quid for a small box will last ages.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Wickes Master one hit filler is my current fave for non structural stuff - as recommended here by TMH I think

A lot creamier than "red devil" or screwfix versions I have used in the past - dries fast (unless inches thick :>)), easy to sand if needed - maybe worth a try?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

OK - I'll get some powder polyfilla - thanks John. Never used it, only had the ready mixed before. I'll seal it with SBR just to make sure it won't fall off :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks Jim - I'll have a look - going up to Wickes later today.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I disagree. These days even the cheapest interior fillers have a binder (pva, cellulose, dunno) that makes them pretty non-porous. If you paint a plaster wall, the bits that have been filled will usually require less coats.

That

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , Tim Watts writes

For a really thin coat I'd say joint filler, used to joint taper edge PB and designed to be sanded out to nothing. 8 quid a 12.5kg bag trade from memory. Bag says Wondertex Ultralight Joint Filler Extra Smooth, says it sets in 90mins but I'd leave it til next day for sanding. Goes on with a float or better with an extra wide filler blade (say 12").

Reply to
fred

Gyproc Easi-Fill - a bit like Pollyfilla powder but cheaper, easier to work and can get a nice smooth finish, even blending the edges into existing plaster. Easy to sand as well.

Got my last 5Kg bag from Wickes, but seen it in Homebase as well.

Reply to
DavidM

It's not powder polyfilla. It's just powder filler. B&Qs own brand was what I got - but there must be equivalents about.

Reply to
John Whitworth

OK - it may be non-porous - but it is dusty and easy to rub down until sealed.

Reply to
John Whitworth

Yep, that's what I'd use!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Which makes it ideal for the purpose. I tend to use dry wall filler or Artex for skimming, but I don't think they're quite as resilient as bog standard filler

Reply to
stuart noble