File against spindle of pillar drill motor

Hi. I need to take a mm or so off the spindle of my old Meddings pillar dri ll motor so that I can fit a piece of tubular steel over it, as an adaptor for a new pulley wheel. My first thought is to power up the motor and hold a file against the spindle, gently and so that there is a pulling force awa y from me, rather than a pushing force toward me.

With gloves, eye protection etc., does this sound like a sensible plan, or am I asking for a Darwin award?

Cheers.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

I frequently cut bolts down by placing them in a drill chuck & holding a hacksaw against them.

Reply to
David Lang

You run the risk of getting it off centre as the keyway will likely mean the material is taken of asymmetrically.

Try and find someone with a lathe who can do the job properly and make the correct sized inside and outside diameter bush for a beer voucher.

Even small amounts of run out will start the belt vibrating and make the machine shake.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No, a recipe for disaster,Don't touch motor shaft,if your new pulley is a bit big you are better off getting someone with a lathe to bush the pulley to fit the existing motor.

Reply to
F Murtz

As far as not getting hurt, it'll probably be ok.

Howvever, why not replace the tubular steel with a wrap of steel tape of suitable thickness?

I found that the metal strips used in feelr gauges (used in valve clearance setting) is on ebay, in many thicknessens and in 5m rolls, for not a lot...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Bad idea for reasons stated - also remember that files cut in one direction so your plan would only work if you held the file with the handle away from you.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

+1.

If you need to take a *small* amount of material off a shaft without a keyway you can use a strip of abrasive-coated fabric tape looped around the running shaft. If it is a permanent fit to the new part, Loctite will help take up the inaccuracies.

Similarly you can open up a tight bush with a rod held in a drill, slotted to take a spiral of abrasive tape or paper. But it won't compare with the accuracy you get from a lathe. Whether or not you can get away with this approach depends on the end use.

Reply to
newshound

In message , David Lang writes

That is so obvious, that it is brilliant - and something that has never occurred to me :-(

Reply to
News

I have had success on hardened gear wheels using diamond core bits to enlarge holes.

Reply to
Capitol

Another tip - put a nut on first, loosely near the head. When you remove it after sawing, any damaged thread is cleaned up.

Reply to
Reentrant

Not sure it's worth the bother. The few teeth in contact with the work will get clogged more quickly than using a hacksaw in the usual way - and pressing sideways with the saw more effort than using it with the bolt held in a vice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do it. Parting off on worn hobby lathes is time consuming and fraught. The cut can be started with a turning tool corner.

Once engaged in a slot, the hacksaw is operated normally. The chuck rotation gives a reasonably square cut not easily achieved in the vice.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good idea. You do get a very clean cut this way.

Reply to
David Lang

Assuming you have access to a vice. Pressing sideways? I lay the drill flat on the floor with the hacksaw on top, you just apply pressure downwards.

Reply to
David Lang

I assumed you were using a pillar drill. Even more reason not to with a hand one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)