Field Gun Trials

Just thought I'd mention to anyone who happens to be in the vicinity of Camberley/Bracknell next Friday, 12th March and intent on using the road between.

There are signs everywhere that they (presumably the Navy?) are running field guns up that road on Friday. Must be some sort of training exercise on.

I imagine this will be men on the ground pulling one of those very heavy field guns for several miles.

It would pay to avoid the area on Friday I think.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Army I would have thought........

How about phoning them and seeing if they would fancy a bit of target practice around Yeovil....... ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall was thinking very hard :

No, the Army would tow them with heavy trucks. Must be the Marines.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Turning the clock back is the way to go with modern warfare. You can build the modern day, cost effective, supercomputer with as little as 64 old Athlons running Linux apparently. Keele University are doing it for about a tenth of the price of everyone else:

1GHz Athlons on a 100Mb/s games type ethernet producing 100 GFLOPS whatever they are. Pity Al Qaida are using technology from the 19th century. What we really need is an invasion of Gzarphags from the planet Neprtvdfrsfghcxz to test it all out on.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Except that the area is peppered with Army facilities - Aldershot, Aborfield, ... I don't know of any Navy or Marine ones in the area.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

True, though maybe people associate the Navy with field gun races from the old Royal Tournament. Wasn't it Portsmouth vs Devonport who used to do it?

David

Reply to
David Hearn

But this is a parallel processing computer, and the number of applications where parallel processing works well is limited. And the number of apps where no less than 64 concurrent threads of processsing are used must be small indeed. Still an impressive setup, but perhaps not as impressive as one might initially imagine.

I envision the opposite, where one computer comes with 2 or 4 keyboards, mice, screens, giving each user anything from 25% to 100% of the one machines processing power.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

For use against the Impathacxio at Trelthelisposcerti eh? Good idea. But I imagine that this thing is one such.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

That was the marines, a real shame the beurocrats scraped it a few years back. My family was from Portsmouth, many of whom have very fond memories of the field gut tournaments. I can well remember the last run, many of the participants wore black arm bands in direct breach of standing orders!

Reply to
NumptyDumpty

If you are referring to a certain company that uses threats instead of friendly customer satisfaction dialog then you need to be aware that Yeovil is now shut - they've transplanted the operation to the Midlands I believe.

Probably just my luck that my screwed-up order happened on the day they did the transfer!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Field gut tournaments? ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

The Royal Artillery do them apparently.

Reply to
Doki

Actually it was crews from the Navy not the Marines who took part in the Field Gun trials that used to be held at the Royal Tournament before its demise.

See

background.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl