Fibreglass water tanks

Having moved into a smaller house, we've had a combi/condensing boiler installed but I now need to remove 2 fibreglass water tanks from the attic! Any ideas from the people here on how I should/could approach this. The loft hatch is quite small and the pitch of the roof is low which isn't helping matters.

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Reply to
Novice DIY'er

boiler

Drain them, cut them up with a jig saw into smaller than hatch sized pieces and job's a good 'un

Mind you with threatened water shortages I'd be tempted to keep them full of water.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Cut them up with a jigsaw.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew and Natural Philosopher,

Okay, so the jigsaw seems to be the preferred choice at the moment. I'm going to assume I should cover up all itchy surfaces including my lungs and eyes before starting?

As for water shortages, not been mentioned up here in Scotland........................Yet!

Harry

Reply to
Novice DIY'er

message

Damp the surface before cutting but yes wear a mask if worried. Why remove them, can they not stay there minding their own business for a few decades?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew,

Due to the pitch of the roof, there isn't a lot of space up there to start with and when you include the roof formers (Or whatever you call those big W shaped frames inside the roof) there isn't a lot of space. The water tanks are wide, low coffin type ones (As there used to be very low water pressure in the area) and they take up a lot of space. So no, removing them would be a much better option in the long term but will need to measure so I have to do the least number of cuts!

Thanks,

Harry

Reply to
Novice DIY'er

Actually chopped strand mat in polyester is not at all bad compared with e.g. rock wool.

And a jigsaw leaves coarse dust.

Mask probably..gloves if you must, but really if you can't be arsed it won't kill you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any hollow cuboid can be reduced to flatst sheets by cutting along all of its vertices. Thats 12 cuts in all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hardly. They may be flat sheets, but will they be flat sheets that can go though the loft hatch? According to what the original poster says, then "No".

I guess that's the difference between a philosophical discussion and real-life.

;-)

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Paul,

There is method in the 'madness; as the flat sheets are flexible and could be twisted to 'fit' through. Not attempted it yet but once the heat drops a bit I'll get started on the job.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Harry

Reply to
Novice DIY'er

1/. I stated that a a fact of geometry, not necessarily a solution to a real life problem 2/. They were got up there somehow....;-) 3/. The description as long low and flattish suggests that in sheet form they would be extricable.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Geometrically it might be 12 but practically it is 8 cuts as the top doesn't exist.

Reply to
Matt