Fibreglass repairs

Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in a fibreglass bath?

I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill the crack?

It only has to last less than a year as the bathroom is due to be gutted. Thus, waterproofing is the only aim not aesthetic perfection.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

|Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in |a fibreglass bath? | |I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or |could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill |the crack? | |It only has to last less than a year as the bathroom is due to be |gutted. Thus, waterproofing is the only aim not aesthetic perfection.

As you are not interested in "aesthetic perfection" drill a tiny hole in both ends of the crack to stop it growing, open the crack to a slight V at the top, fill with slow setting araldite, move both sides to get the epoxy well into crack and the holes, clean off excess epoxy with meths before it sets. That will last for several years

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I had the same problem due to dropping something in the bath. I stuck a piece of insulating tape over it. It actually stayed there quite a bit longer than a year in the end, but never leaked or came off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks both

I'll do the 'stress relieving holes and Araldite-thing' but I do like the idea of repairing it with insulting tape.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

What's the bath done to you? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Was it the multipoint that fell in?

Reply to
Andy Hall

No (it's in a different room). It was, believe it or not, a tape measure...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh wow. Shows how easily damaged they are....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't you have AD cover on your buildings ins ??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Richard saying something like:

If cosmetics don't matter, just roughly sand the crack and apply a couple of pieces of mat/resin. Two layers if you feel industrious.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon