Fibreglass poles

Does anbody know where I can get a fibreglass pole, of similar dimensions to a scaffold pole (ie, around 50mm diameter, thick-walled, and about 4m long?

Thanks

Gary

PS: Brian - yes it is for what you're thinking ;-)

Reply to
Gary Cavie

You a CB freak? thought they died a sad death?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

fibreglass though. Am I thinking what you're thinking? :-)

Reply to
Matt Finish

PS: Brian - yes it is for what you're thinking ;-)

it's not.

Reply to
.

Old windsurfing pole? - They are tapered though!

(Most modern ones contain carbon fibre)

Maybe old mast for Topper or Laser sailing boat.

Reply to
Michael Chare

No, not CB!

Reply to
Gary Cavie

No, but there's another idea for the future!

Reply to
Gary Cavie

NO - definitely not for that!!!

Reply to
Gary Cavie

That's a thought, will take a look down the local boatyard.

Thanks

Reply to
Gary Cavie

You can buy GRP handrail tube, but you have to like bright yellow. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I saw them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Washing line pole ??

Reply to
Franko

You could try a good sports supplier. They may have some pole-vault poles (I'm fairly sure the lower end of the market will be GRP based). Look at eBay etc for second hand poles as well.

J.

Reply to
John

Try a google for glaasfibre measuring rods, but you'll pay a lot for 'em. They're usually rated to a high electrical impulse test.

Used to be able to get a relatively simple type, about 4ft sections, that slotted together, alternatively a telescopic version that would extend to about 25ft.

Reply to
The Wanderer

| Does anbody know where I can get a fibreglass pole, of similar dimensions | to a scaffold pole (ie, around 50mm diameter, thick-walled, and about 4m | long? |

You want a pole to go in the Jockey wheel holder on your 4 metre caravan? For an aerial or sat dish?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

OK. I'll fess up!

Sir Benjamin was _almost_ right - it's not CB, but amateur radio. I have a Crossed beam sitting on top of my rotator, using an aluminum pole. This passes right through the vertical elements, and is de-tuning them, giving an SWR of almost 4:1, whereas the horizontal section is spot on at 1.1:1. That's why I need a fibreglass pole!

(Although the pole dancing setup does sound good - my wife has always wanted to learn that!)

Reply to
Gary Cavie

But what about the coax? That's metal too, so replacing the pole may not be a complete solution.

Also, are you absolutely sure the SWR problem isn't due to something else, like a bad connection to the driven element?

Reply to
Ian White

What better man to correspond with!

Thanks Ian,

I have proven that it is a location issue by swapping the aerial through

90 degrees, and it remains with the vertical polarised half, so I don't think coax or connections are at fault, which is what led me do blame it on the 2" pole passing in line with the vertical elements, halfway between director 1&2.

I'm open to any other suggestions, but so that we don't upset everyone else on teh group, could we try email? My address (as despammed seems to be down ATM) is garycavieATcustomnetDOTcoDOTuk.

Thanks once again

Gary M0JJH

Reply to
Gary Cavie

You need a flagpole supplier for Fibreglass pole.

They're not cheap neither.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In article , Gary Cavie writes

They are alloy.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Lol! How about a timber pole? Would that work for what you want. My local diy centre carries a mopstick handrail, which is approx the size you want.

Reply to
Matt Finish