Fibreglass flat roof

OK so I am cheating as I don't like heights and will get the job done for me but I would still like some advice.

I have a large rear flat roof loft extension (roof circa 22 foot by 18 foot) which was constructed in 1980 making my semi detached bungalow into a two storey building. It was reroofed about 7-8 years ago and is currently in good condition. I had left it too long and got leakage so the work involved replacement of boards, insulation etc. I am anxious not to leave it too long again and as I have insurance policies due to mature within the next year am adding recovering the roof to the list of projects.

The roof is currently covered in bitumen felt which I understand to have a life of 10-15 years. I note that firms installing fibreglass flat roofs talk of a 25 year life. As I am 57 I am attracted to the prospect of not having to bother with flat roof repairs again in my life!

My questions are :-

Are fibre glass roofs as durable and problem free as claimed? Are there any downsides?

What would be a realistic budget cost - I live on the fringes of Norwich?

National company or local roofing contractor?

There is a very slight fall on the roof and to date I have only had problems when the felt failed rather than from water creep.

Reply to
Peter Balcombe

There are plenty of fibreglass boats 50 years old or more.

Try a local boatbuilder, plenty around your area. See if a couple of their fibreglass workers would be interested.

Fibreglass is a fairly simple material but certain stages are critical if long life is to be achieved. Someone used to doing layup on boat hulls would be ideal.

I doubt if local roofers would be familiar with it and national companies tend to be rip-off merchants.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The thing that bothers me about fibreglass (apart from one of the neighbours' fibreglass roofs leaking...) is thermal movement of the building and/or UV damage causing cracking. Although I suppose both are easily avoided with the right resin.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

I work 20ft from a harbour full of fibreglass boats which are there

365 days a year & get baked/frozen/beaten - they mostly sink cos the mooring ropes aren't slacked off when there is a spring tide
Reply to
Chris Oates

If you think about the environment boats survive in and the stresses they have to endure a roof has an easy time of it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I certainly wouldn't take to sea in a boat hull covered in roofing felt! :)

However with a flat roof I wouldn't go on price alone but get some expert opinion on what is required for the roof, and preferably get it done by an established company offering a long guarantee.

One way to cope with movement could be to use a 'bond breaker' between the fg and roof, a wide strip of suitable resin resistant plastic would do it. A good company will be able to offer advice on this.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

We had a flat roof over a garage and part of the house recovered in fibreglass early in 2000 and I am quite happy with it. But I should be at the price as it is not cheap when done on behalf of Polyroof. However they give a 20 year insurance backed guarantee which can be transferred, subject to inspection, on sale. Polyroof's HQ is in Flintshire and I think that they have agencies around the UK. We had a look at some local examples of their workmanship before placing our order. As with other types of garage covering, I think the cost depends significantly on the nature and condition of the existing roof. Ours was covered in thick waterproof plywood when the previous felt covering was put on and was only deemed to need a further thin layer of plywood to provide a suitable foundation for the fibreglass. A quotation is the only reliable way to get an estimate of price but I would expect you would be talking about something in the region of £40 per square metre.

Reply to
Brian S Gray

They make boats and cars out of the stuff. the fibres are virtually indestructable. It lasts for ever. Neerer to home, they make baths out of it ..........

In my experience, getting the resin right is important, its not hard, but look for someone who you can verfy does it every day ........ Just the normal coyboy avoidance.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Given the state of some fibreglass cars I've seen, I'm not sure it lasts for ever when exposed to sunlight etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Glass of course is the major constituent and that last longer than thee or me. Glass Fibre cars last extremely well from a mechanical point of view - they just get a bit faded and the surface gel coat gets crazed which isn't an issue with a roof (as you don't use an anaerobic gel coat as you do with a moulded item).

The other huge advantage of GF as a roofing material is it is extraordinarily simple to repair if damaged and the repair (if done with a modicum of care) is as strong as the original.

Reply to
Peter Parry

you plan to rip out and replace a good roof? I would question that.

Fibreglass is quite DIYable. It isnt totally immune to problems, sometimes it does crack and fail in time, but that tends to be quite a long time.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton