Fibre Washers

Anybody else had similar. I replaced our En-Suite approx 6 months ago and when replacing the toilet used the existing tap connector (copper not flexi) but renewed the fibre washer. After approx 3 months SWMBO noticed the joint between the connector and infill pipe was weeping. I investigated and found that the new fibre washer was in fact split, so I replaced it and everything OK. I periodically checked it and no leaking at all. Yesterday SWMBO noticed a weeping again whilst doing the cleaning. I have investigated again and another split washer! The seat of the tap connector and infill pipe are not rough, cut, sharp etc. Why would this happen after 3 months and not straight away? I have replaced the washer today but this time I have used a suitably sized O ring.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I suspect that the cistern or pipework has been flexing slightly. The fibre washers are ridiculously thin/narrow these days. Using an O ring is a far better solution and I doubt if you will have any trouble from it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Same batch of fibre washers?

How tight are you doing up the nut it only needs to be just nipped not murdered up. The fibre expands when wet making the seal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed. O ring is much better.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why do they make fittings that need fibre washers when it must be at least 50 years since neoprene or synthetic washers appeared. Is there any advantage to 'fibre'? Does anyone make neoprene washers in fibre washer sizes?

I had the water off & drained whilst on holiday once. On return, I turned it on, bath taps leaked, water through ceiling. Turned it off, drained it, removed panel, turned water on to find leak, no leak. Ghastly things.

Reply to
Aidan

Yes, in a 'plumbers repair kit' bought from BES a couple of years ago

Hand tight and a further 1/2 turn with a spanner

I realise this, a fact I have known since my now deceased grandad explained this to me some 25+ years ago, along with how you can NEVER wire a 3 pin plug incorrectly, (which incedently works for ALL wiring colour specs, old, recent and the new colours, I think I may patent it!). My goodness I miss those educational chats we used to have!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Tell us about wiring a plug then....!

Reply to
John

What....for a failsafe method that has been stored in my head since the mid

1970s? You will have to ask better than that. Every time I put a plug on the old chap is there looking over my shoulder and repeating the words.........

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Aw go on! Pretty please!

Reply to
John

Mine is:

Mainly green - the colour of grass which grows in the earth. blue reminds me of water, a neutral chemical. brown - the colour of your underwear if you touch this live wire

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

This would make more sense to me, if the colours were changed again;

Blue - live - as in Electric Blue. I see electricity as blue. Brown - earth - because earth (soil) is brown. Magnolia - neutral - because it is.

As it is I reckon BLue and BRown should remind people that the bLue goes to the Left and the bRown goes to the Right in a plug.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

================================== Not very scientific, but Green is earth (grass), Blue is cold and Brown is hot.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

But that wouldn't work with the (very) old flex colours of black and red or if for some reason you wanted to put a 3 pin plug on a piece of (recently) old T&E.

Cheers

John (and his grandad)

Reply to
John