Fibre or rubber washers?

When replacing a male 1/2" BSP connector, should I fit a fibre or rubber washer into the female connector. The female is a fixed permanent fitting.

Regards

Reply to
.newman

harry wibbled on Sunday 15 August 2010 08:01

IME, if it were a tap connector (eg onto a tap or cistern ballcock) you'd use a fibre washer as it would expand when wet.

Rubber is used for things like washing machines.

If it were a taper thread, normally PTFE or hemp (or PTFE thread) + sealing compound (depending on whether it's carrying potable water or not) or one of the modern plumbing threadlok Loctite type materials.

Parallel threads usually lead to a washer, but I have had cases of parallel threads where the joint could not possibly bottom out (a water heater) so liberal amounts of thread sealants were used despite it being at odds with normal wisdom.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks

I have used fibre and it appears to be watertight

Regards

Reply to
.newman