Fibre-glass repairs

Best way to repair a hole in a fibre-glass hull dinghy ? Say 6" x 6". Water tight would be preferable (c:

I was thinking of pop-rivetting on an aluminium sheet for now (suitably glued).

Z.

Reply to
Zoinks

I wouldn't bother with the aluminium and pop-rivets idea. Things like the different thermal expansion and rigidity of the two different joined materials would make for a very temporary repair.

I'd just use a fibre-glass repair kit - preferbly one of the more expensive ones with the woven glass matting rather than the thinner stuff that isn't woven. If the hole is as big as 6" square, you'll probably need to use something in the middle of the sandwich to support the first layer of fibre-glass and matt until it goes off. They usually include some thin perforated zinc in the kit for that purpose. Then just laminate more layers until it's as thick and strong as the original material

Give it a darn good test before you use it on the water ;-)

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

No. Cover the outside with clingfilm and lay up chopped strand mat from inside.

When adequately strong, remove film and use fishing resin and mica filler or car body filler to blend teh curves in. Spray paint and it will be unnoticeable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher