FERN Vs PLASPLUG CUTTERS

I will need a tile cutter for both ceramic and porcelain tiles. I have seen the Plasplug one in B&Q and the Fern at Screwfix. Any views please on which is the best.

Reply to
Steve Barnes

I've used the plasplug for tiling in my kitchen and bathroom and have been very pleased. I assume you're takling about the big cutter with the scribing arm like this:

than the hand-held ones (which are rubbish IMHO).

Don't know about the Fern, but the above one from Screwfix looks good value. Also, a plasplug tile cutting jigsaw blade in a decent jigsaw is a godsend for odd shapes.

HTH, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Seen the plasplugs electric tile cutter in Wilkinsons for £29.99 which seemed good value.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Got one of the Screwfix ones (red/black with silver top).

Can't fault it for the price. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Assuming it's the Plasplugs "compact" one, I bought this last week from B+Q Oxford for £23.99, and it's proving excellent for the bathroom tiles. I really like the mitred corners!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I've been using one of these for years. 3 bathrooms and 1 kitchen later the blade still cuts well.

Reply to
BillR

Yes. For up to standard size wall tiles etc it's near ideal, and easily stored. A larger one is better, strangely, for large tiles, but might not fit on that shelf when not in use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I had a 99 quid Plasplugs about 5 years ago - it lasted about 10 bathrooms/kitchens. - Would have done more if my assistant had not loaded things on top of it 8-(. =

Also got very noisy. =

The Fern was a disaster - mainly the water tray was totally insufficient and when filled would send water everywhere. Ended up in the bin after

1/2 shower room. =

The new 40 quid smaller Plasplugs is nearly as good as the old model - a little less water means you have to top up a lot. =

Reply to
Ed Sirett