FERN Vs PLASPLUG CUTTERS

I will need a tile cutter for both ceramic and porcelain tiles. I have seen the Plasplug one in B&Q and the Fern at Screwfix. Any views please on which is the best.

I've used the plasplug for tiling in my kitchen and bathroom and have been very pleased. I assume you're takling about the big cutter with the scribing arm like this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 139&ts4106 rather than the hand-held ones (which are rubbish IMHO).
Don't know about the Fern, but the above one from Screwfix looks good value. Also, a plasplug tile cutting jigsaw blade in a decent jigsaw is a godsend for odd shapes.
HTH, Al

Seen the plasplugs electric tile cutter in Wilkinsons for 29.99 which seemed good value.

Assuming it's the Plasplugs "compact" one, I bought this last week from B+Q Oxford for 23.99, and it's proving excellent for the bathroom tiles. I really like the mitred corners!
--
Selah

Stephen Gower wrote:

I've been using one of these for years. 3 bathrooms and 1 kitchen later the blade still cuts well.

Yes. For up to standard size wall tiles etc it's near ideal, and easily stored. A larger one is better, strangely, for large tiles, but might not fit on that shelf when not in use.
--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

BillR wrote:

I had a 99 quid Plasplugs about 5 years ago - it lasted about 10 bathrooms/kitchens. - Would have done more if my assistant had not loaded things on top of it 8-(. Also got very noisy.
The Fern was a disaster - mainly the water tray was totally insufficient and when filled would send water everywhere. Ended up in the bin after 1/2 shower room.
The new 40 quid smaller Plasplugs is nearly as good as the old model - a little less water means you have to top up a lot.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On 21 Oct 2003 03:42:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hsbc.com (Steve Barnes) wrote:

Got one of the Screwfix ones (red/black with silver top).
Can't fault it for the price. :-)
Mark S.