Ferm SDS plus drill

I'd echo every bit of this, although I haven't used mine that much, it's just because I haven't done that many suitable jobs since.

It's big and heavy, and I'd be looking for a rotor lock and a safety clutch in a replacement, but as an intro to the joys of SDS it's great.

It's certainly capable of removing a large chunk of the far side of the wall if you push to hard....

Reply to
Nick Atty

Looking forward to playing with my new 2450 when SWMBO remembers to bring it home from her office ;-(

Richard

Reply to
Richard

You can get surprisingly fine control when chiselling, anything from a gentle "tapping" to "die brick die!" ;-) For drilling it will romp through hard masonry without needing to go much above half throttle!

Reply to
John Rumm

It will be interesting to hear your opinion once you have used the Makita...

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John,

As they say 'watch this space'. Or rather 'watch a new thread'.

It's interesting to note, judging from the recent threads, that a fair number of punters buy a cheap and sometimes nasty SDS+ machine to see if they are worth spending serious money on - rather than just an expensive specialized tool that is infrequently essential. Then, despite the 'cheap and nasty' introduction, find that they are actually rather flexible and generally useful tools and spend a larger chunk of cash. As I did.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Ah... trouble keeping it up! I've got a load of junk e-mails that might be handy... however, is there really a big issue holding up (say) a 5Kg machine for a short time, when there's a benefit of extra power? I don't know what my old Aldi drill weighs, I'll try to remember to weigh it. It's worth having as a "Q" drill, the BIL looked askance when I dragged it out for something a while back & it did the job!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Depends how much chasing you're doing? Or say removing tiles or rendering?

And the extra power may not be needed anyway.

Weight probably isn't so important for a quick job - and may indeed be a benefit for doing things to a floor, etc.

Like all things it's up to you what suits best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my case I needed *something* to drill holes through my walls to carry speaker cables. Because the living room is in an extension, you're going through the external wall of the original telephone exchange (plus another layer of plaster). Since the external walls consist of a 9in wall, a healthy cavity, then a single leaf, you need a long drill. It wasn't the superior drilling capability I went for, just the ability to put a long, fat, bit in. Then, of course, I discovered just how much faster than a conventional drill it was.

Reply to
Nick Atty