FENSA - is it necessary

April 2002, which is exactly why I replaced my windows in February 2002 (and put central heating in). However, very few window installers were signed up until a long time after that date anyway. I spoke to mine probably some 6 months later, and he was just starting to think about it.

I did however make my systems all conform to Part L except for the K glass, which is a complete waste of money. IIRC, the payback for K glass was something like 50 years, and that didn't take into account the extra lighting needed because of the slightly darker glass. That money went towards a condensing boiler and extra insulation, which was a very much more effective use of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So, after say, 5 years, it becomes beyond their remit ?

Reply to
geoff

elfin safety. You have to be trained to use a ladder and have done the "Working at heights" course if more than 6' above the ground. You will notice that sky dishes are now installed on the sides of houses no more than 8 to 10' from the ground...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

6 months of the date of the offence, except for breaches of the Energy Efficiency requirements, where the time limit is longer (can't remember how long & ICBA to look it up).

The LA can serve a notice (a 'Section 36') requiring the owner to rectify a contravention up to 12 months after its occurrence (I think this has also been extended for Energy Efficiency requirements- see above).

Action can be taken on existing buildings containing flats of three or more storeys to ensure there are adequate fire precautions, and there are the dangerous buildings sections if you really c*ck it up (like the landlord who decided that he could get a couple of extra flats in his house by digging down 2m in one go).

In practice, as someone else has pointed out, getting the Council's solicitors to do anything within the time allowed is so tortuous and time-consuming that my LA only takes any formal action against the most serious and/or serial transgressors. The main sanction for everyone else is the withholding of a Completion Certificate."

Reply to
John Rumm

And what happens if you have neither? Hung drawn and quartered or simple beheading?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since the FENSA thing is quite recent - how would a buyer know when the windows were installed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cos the seller is supposed to tell em (and there is a date stamp on many sealed units!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Mine did: I have done a lot of work and wanted to make sure that I got the credit. EA said it was one of the first Cs he seen. Hasn't helped so far: just one expression of interest who wants to knock the asked £300K down to £250K (for obvious reasons).

Reply to
Tony Bryer

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

And my numpty buyer's solicitor asked the question, so obviously their surveyor wasn't paying much attention to the clearly marked dates on the 4 new windows!

Reply to
Tim S

Your numpty solicitor just sends out a standard list of questions.,

This costs him (you) less than his going through them to work out which ones he needs to ask

tim

Reply to
tim.....

And quite adequate they are there too!. Ours are up a corner of the garden on the ground and painted greenish brown and you wouldn't know we had two:)...

Reply to
tony sayer