Fencing

I have a rotten fence post that snapped during a breezy spell over xmas. I have bought a new fence post, and a "metpost" spike. I have a couple of questions.
Do I need to dip the end in creosote (substitute?) or do you put the metpost so the wood is clear of the ground. It is dipped with some brown stuff.
I have some "real" creosote the previous owner left. Is it illegal to use, or just to sell. And where to get rid of it if so?
TIA
Bob
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:35:57 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

Never harms to dip the ends of posts in creosote, i usually leave in a tub for a least 30mins or until sucks up all the creosote i put in the tub whatever is first. The post is probably tanatone treated which is pressure treated then coloured brown.
Personally i would concrete a wooden post into the ground, otherwise i would concrete the spike into the ground.
Just use the creosote, you won't have anyone come around and ask for a sample, illegal to sell since last june though.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:57:35 +0000, David Hemmings

We might all come round to sniff it though. ;-)
Mark S.

Does the new stuff not smell as nice, or does it get you high?
Bob
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:34:59 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

basically the same except that the highly carcinogenic compound benzo[a]pyrene is prohibited now. There are apparently several different chemicals that can be used to replace BaP, but each company seems quite reticent about broadcasting exactly what, if i get some time i will look into it to see what i find.
http://www.hsa.ie/safety/chemical_awareness/creosote.htm
David Hemmings wrote:

I would be interested to know, but there is no rush. I was really asking why everyone would want to come around to sniff it.
Bob

I thought the tanatone treated things were just dipped. Doesn't seem to penetrate much.
If I hand the creosote in to a proper disposal place, it will end up in the environment somehow anyway, so I might as well put it to use. There is only about 1/2 a pint anyway.